Saturday, January 30, 2010

Simple Pleasures on a Saturday morning

Just had a lovely outing to the Tauranga Farmers Market this morning. Bought a delicious, still-warm baguette, some organic plums and blueberries and some beans as well. Blueberries have been so expensive this year that we have hardly bought any at all so it was nice to see a huge punnet for only $4- much cheaper than the supermarket!
Have also just finished sewing my first ever bag- a child's satchel. I got the idea from Heleen at Ruby in the Dust blog. Luckily I picked up the striped fabric from the Salvation Army store in the Mount last week- it was only $1 so I just got it thinking that it would come in handy one day and it ended up being perfect for a bag as it is a sort of canvas/upholstery thickness. I used a belt I never wear for the strap so its a very thrifty bag! It's a present for my 3 year old niece next week. I stayed up really late last night trying to work out how to put the handles on properly but just couldn't work it out being the very beginner sewer I am so I just sewed them on after I finished the bag in the end. Need to work on sewing straight lines and my applique skills too...but  I love that I have learnt how to sew lining-makes it look very smart - thanks Heleen for the idea and the tutorial :)

8 comments:

Jen said...

neat satchel
hope your niece likes it \
im sure she will :)

Megan said...

Thanks Jen, I like the picture of Napier on your blog too- I grew up there and my mum and step dad still live there :)

Domestic Goddess said...

The bag is gorgeous!!! I love your colour combo and admire your thriftiness too. I think the way you sewed the strap on is really cool. You could have slipped it down between the lining and the bag but honestly I think the way you did it is much more interesting!

The Devonport Craft Market / Cotton Kiwi said...

Great fabric and brilliant thinking using the belt for the strap. Have a look at the Tiny Happy bag tutorial for a good, easy general tute on making a handbag for yourself. Emma Hardy's books are also brilliant for beginner sewers. She makes every step really clear with an illustration and it all makes sense. Her 'sewing for children' book is totally gorgeous and very easy and practical. The 'sewing in no time' book has lots of easy house related projects and was on special in Paper Plus last week for about $20 I think. I've made lots of things from both books and would highly recommend them. Good luck with your sewing!

Megan said...

Hi Sarah, thanks heaps for the ideas- have just reserved Emma Hardy's book "Sewing in no time" from the library-looks like its just what I need!

The Devonport Craft Market / Cotton Kiwi said...

Cool. Look forward to seeing what you make!

Ruby in the Dust said...

Hi Megan, I've just discovered your blog; I'm so glad you could use the little tutorial :) I used to find the strap a bit confusing too. I normally keep the outer bag right side out, pin the strap where I want it (hanging down though, not up) and then put the lining inside out around the lot. Imagine it as a sandwich :) Hope you get it right next time, and email me if you'd like some help.

Megan said...

thanks Heleen, I am going to have another go- have just bought a metre of strap like your yellow one but in red so will try again! your blog is lovely thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails