Saturday, February 27, 2010

where I live

I really love looking on my world map to see where fellow bloggers, my lovely followers and people that leave comments are from ( I am getting much better at US geography!) so I thought I would post some pics from the little corner of the world I am from.
I live in Tauranga, in the Bay of Plenty region, on the East Coast of NZ and about a 10 minute drive to the Mount, one of NZ's best white- sand surf beaches.


 
At the end of the Mount main beach is 'Mauao (Mount Maunganui), which has a base track to walk around and really is one of the most lovely short walks (around 45mins) in New Zealand. About 900,000 people walk around Mauao every year! I walked around yesterday with my baby and had to take some pics of this stunning walk, especially for those of you in the grips of a cold winter at the moment.


Could this beach be any more beautiful?!


View from the track


Pohutakawa trees lining the track about half way around


Looking out to the Pacific


Looking back at the track


A swim in the early evening too- what a day!

And just because I like posting about crafty things too here is a pic of a project I have on the go- a baby blanket made out of knitted squares (about the limit of my knitting skills at the mo!) My mum and sister made one for my toddler so I thought I would make one for my baby. Seems funny to be showing some knitting with these summer pics but if I don't start now it'll never be ready by winter!


My knitting so far- the squares are all looking a slightly different size whoops!


My toddlers blanket- my mum got a lady at Purple Patch to stitch all the squares together and then she got a label embroidered and sewn on the blanket.   A neat project for a beginner knitter don't you think?
Have a great weekend,
Megan

10 comments:

Cotton Kiwi said...

Love the pics. And the baby blanket. Have you tried blocking your squares to get them even?

Kelly said...

I love the Mount! We don't get there often enough though - my Grandma lives not far from Bayfair and years ago lived on Ocean Beach Road so we only had to cross the road to get to the beach. She also used to sew Barbie clothes to sell at Purple Patch - I don't know how she did it, too fiddly for me!

You're knitting looks better than I could ever do - my knitting is always really tight :(

Megan said...

Hi Sarah, I am such a beginner I don't even know what blocking is! is it tricky?!

Kristin said...

I found your blog a couple of weeks ago, and didn't realise you are local! Aren't we lucky to have such a beautiful part of this country on our doorsteps? :o)

Domestic Goddess said...

Nice knitting! It's quite addictive when you get going though!!!

Bliss Knits said...

Wow, what a fabulous place to live! It must be very inspirational having that view on your doorstep.

Blocking is easy: I would just spray your squares with water so that they are damp; lay them out on a thick towel and then pin them out flat (you can stretch them a bit at this stage so that they are of an even size) and then just leave them to dry naturally. I'm sure there'll be better instructions and pictures on the web too.

Good luck with the rest of the knitted blanket - I'm crocheting squares for a mum-to-be at the minute.

Sharon x

Jen said...

what a beautiful country we live in
we are blessed

Im excited I now have to blogging buddies who live in Tauranga. Even more of a reason to pop over and say hi next time im with my sister - she lives in land from Whakatane.

love your cream coloured wool :)

Meeks said...

Beautiful pictures of Tauranga, thanks for sharing! We used to go up to Greerton every year to spend Christmas with my grandparents...lots of fond memories ;)
(that was back in the days where you could lay down all the seats in the van and sleep on the long trip up.)

Chavah said...

It is so beautiful at the mount! My hubby and I considered relocating there.

Aims said...

Sigh...I remember knitting that blanket. The wonky squares are definitely mine...usually the result of too much accompanying Pinot Noir!
Gorgeous pics Megs...lucky you missed the tsunami :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails