Wednesday, February 23, 2011

an upside down day

I've read this picture book to nearly all of the classes I've taught in over the years- a child's account of the catastrophic Napier earthquake back in 1931. It's hard to believe that the earthquake in Christchurch is going to be as devastating if not more so. My heart goes out to the families that have lost loved ones and everyone in Christchurch.
Already there are a few ways to help- Leonie from Kiwiatheart has started a softie appeal and on Paisley Jade's blog there is a list of other ways to help out.  Grab one also has an appeal and has raised over $144,000 already.  And here's two facebook pages with ways to help
http://www.facebook.com/chchcharityauctions
and
http://www.facebook.com/Support.Christchurch.Earthquake
Thinking of you all in Christchurch,
Megan

5 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

It's so sad isn't it - and amazing to think this will be studied in the future in classrooms!

Cotton Kiwi said...

Great to have that list Megan. I'll link to it from my FB page.

Libby said...

I thought of you when I heard about the earthquake. There is a couple from Calgary (I believe) who just went (back?) recently and bam they're experiencing an earthquake! Said it was like a train (truck?) driving through the house. (I was driving so some details were lost). I couldn't remember where you were or the extent of the earthquake. I'm glad you're ok.

Lady Muck said...

Thanks for that Meghan - I will put this post up on my FB page in case some of my readers would like to know where they can go to help out...

Wendy Sice said...

So many natural tragedies in the small space that has been this year. I haven't heard of that book before, but I imagine it would have a huge impact on the children and be a very effective teaching tool, especially given what many of them will be going through right now. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails