Sunday, March 27, 2011

One a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns

I received an email the other day from Sarah at Bakers Delight to ask if I wanted to try some of their new hot cross buns and promote their 'Bundraiser ' Day on Saturday 9th April. So my little taste testers and I went along to Bakers Delight here in Tauranga to collect some traditional, fruitless, choc chip and mocha buns....can you guess which ones the girls wanted to try....yep, choc chip which they loved of course!
I really liked the mocha ones for something a bit different but as a bit of a creature of habit the traditional ones were my fav, and my hubby took a packet of the traditional ones to work and said they went down a treat so that was good!

So pop this date in your diaries..... on Saturday 9th April, 'Bundraiser' Day will see all Bakers Delight bakeries across New Zealand, donate $1 from every six-pack of hot cross buns sold to Starship Children's Hospital in an effort to raise more than $5,000 for Starship's Air Ambulance Service. Hopefully it'll be a really successful fundraiser for this vital service.

And if you're interested in finding out more about the meaning behind hot cross buns at Easter then read this article from Wikipedia...

....and just for a bit of crafty fun, how cute is this little crochet hot cross bun...

and this Felt hot cross bun would make a great little addition to a felt food playset
So, would you like to try some Bakers Delight Hot Cross buns? I've been given 5 vouchers to giveaway for a free 6-pack of hot cross buns from your local Bakers Delight Store.  Just leave a comment on this post or over on my mousehouse facebook page under the link to this post and you'll be in to win!  Would love to hear of any Easter traditions in your family or an Easter treat you really look forward to each Easter but any comment is welcome! (Giveaway open to NZ readers only sorry.)

You can follow Bakers Delight on facebook www.facebook.com/bakersdelightnz and on twitter too- http://twitter.com/#!/bakersdelight - they have heaps of special offers and coupons for followers.

Thanks for visiting, I hope you've all had a great weekend. Mine has been a good one- there was much excitement (ok, mainly from me) making our own dishwasher powder which worked a treat- will share soon!
Megan x

13 comments:

clare said...

oooh yummo! put me in the draw for sure! an easter tradition my mum always had, and I hope to continue with my daughter is to give a little gift such as a book or small toy, and just a couple of easter eggs, rather than a HUGE load of chocolate :) Of course there are lots of hot cross buns with real butter! x

Catherine said...

Being a LOVER of Hot Cross Buns I'd Love Love Love to win a voucher *of course* xxx
I haven't tried the Mocha ones - must pop down and try one, I hear they do coffee now too - hmmm Mocha Hot Cross Bun plus Coffee during my kidlet free moment tomorrow sounds good to me ::))

Fay said...

Yum! I love hot cross buns.

I love Easter, its so much fun when you have kids. This year I'm excited as my son will be old enough to do an easter egg hunt :)

nzgreenbuttons said...

oooh the mocha ones sound yum! I love traditional ones though. I started last year making our own buns and I hope to do that again thie year too. We always hide the eggs, the tiny ones with white spots on the foil.

Jen said...

me too! i will leave my post a little longer then.

greta @ topography said...

Yummy! I love the choc chip ones ;)

Michelle said...

Thanks we definitely wont say no to this one!
As my kids are older now we wait for the chocolate to be on special and then they can have double the amount!

Rochelle's Lenz said...

Yum! I love their hot cross buns, so will put the date in my diary. Can't wait for Easter this year. Kaea is at an age where she is learning about celebrations and can't wait - we will start making our own hot cross buns together in April on our weekly bake day. I am sure we would love to be inspired by winning some hot cross buns tho!

Vintage Kewpie said...

Please pop me in the draw. Me and Mr 6 are particularly fond of hot cross buns, but have never tried the Bakers Delight ones.

Thanks :)

Rosie said...

Nice giveaway Megan. Great to hear about the Starship fundraiser - am definitely keen to support that one!!! I guess our main Easter traditions revolve around going to church & being with family. We try to have all the family around for an Easter brunch & now the boys are a bit older I am keen to have an Easter egg hunt.

Am looking forward to hearing about the dishwasher powder. I tried to make some but it was a total flop :(

Bron66 said...

Oh, I would love to have some of these. I will make sure I will go, even if I don't win. We all love them in our house!

Bron66 said...

OOps!! Just read it was for NZ readers. Sorry!

HamiltonMum said...

yum yum yum yum yum! Mr 3 is already looking forward to easter - and whenever he spies the packet of hot cross buns he starts singing.

Some of my favourite easter traditions include the easter egg hunt on sunday morning, making easter craft (last year we made some awesome "stained glass window eggs" with pastel tissue paper), and easter baking - who knows this year I might even let the kids near the decorating tools!

Related Posts with Thumbnails