Wednesday, April 13, 2011

a bit of pampering

Well, I'm 6 days overdue now so I'm treating myself to a few of Wendyl's Green Goddess  beauty recipes instead of cleaning ones now - it's soooo much fun making your own beauty products (and it helps to take my mind off the waiting and wondering game!) 

I decided to have a go at making the lip balm recipe first the other day (the recipe is on Wendyls' website here). I bought some of the ingredients from this seller on TradeMe (the sweet almond oil, beeswax pellets and cocoa butter) which added up to about $35 but if you take a look at the bag of pellets - you only use 3 pellets to make 2 lip balms so there's a lot of lip balm to be made with that bag of pellets! 
I found that Wendyl's recipe makes 2 lip balms so I worked out that the actual cost of ingredients to make one lip balm was 90 cents, and then you just need to find some containers. I found mine at Payless Plastics for $2.00 but they did have cheaper ones too. So a lovely homemade lip balm for $2.90 is not bad going is it!
I decided to make peppermint lip balm first so I bought some peppermint essential oil from the chemist- I used the oil to make the peppermint paste as well and I'm sure it'll come in handy for other things too.
I had no luck finding a double boiler from The Warehouse or Brisoces (and they would have probably been too expensive anyway for what I am using it for.)  But a search on Trade Me came up with this little cutie so I was lucky enough to win the auction for it as there were no other bidders! 
They were so easy to make, well they were after I put all of the ingredients in the bottom pot first (whoops, can tell I'm not much of a cook!) 
You just melt the beeswax, cocoa butter and oil in the pot (the top one!!) then add the icing sugar, the vitamin e from one capsule (Wendyl also recommends using the oil from one capsule as a night time skin treat as well so you're getting two uses out of the jar at least!) and 6 drops of your chosen essential oil (I just used 3 drops of the peppermint as it is quite a strong oil). Then you just carefully pour the mixture into the containers. The lip balm hardens really quickly, probably in about half an hour at the most so you get to use it pretty much straight away! You know how sometimes making homemade things is a lot of fun but the finished product still isn't really like a bought one- well, this lip balm really is lovely, a friend I gave one too even asked for another for a friend of hers!
 
I've had these alphabet stickers from Warehouse Stationery for ages now so I used them to decorate the top of the containers- a cute personalised gift :) And if you like the look of the little box I made in the top  photo to put the lip balm in for a gift I've got a little tutorial coming on how to make them soon, just depends on when baby decided to arrive!
I also made up the body scrub today which was really lovely. Just be careful if you use it in the shower as it can make the bottom of the shower a bit slippery! 
Nice to do a bit of pampering today, I'd love to hear if you have any 'natural beauty' recipes to share :)
Megan x

8 comments:

Tammi said...

I have been making my own cleaning products for years now but have never thought of making beauty products, thanks for the inspiration.
Happy pampering :)
xx

greta @ topography said...

Wow, 6 days overdue! All the best for the big day, whenever it comes :)

Sue said...

Thanks so much for the lovely gift you left the other day Megan. I have been coveting a MouseHouse cosmetic bag for a while now, so was very happy to find your little parcel waiting for me - and with some of your lip balm - Denny couldn't believe you'd made it yourself! Try to rest up for the next few days, and make sure Ben is running around after you. Best wishes from us, look forward to hearing the news.
xx Sue

Leonie said...

all the best Megan, hope bubs makes an appearance soon.
Those lip balms look so professional!! I might get my daughter to help make some as we are trying to do all hand/home made gifts this year.

Janine said...

looks like you had fun. Stainless steel double boilers are hard things to find these days. So I tend to cheat and use a pyrex jug that sits in the pot and it works a treat. I am glad you had fun making the balm and body scrub.

For a treat try using raw sugar I find it more gentle on the body than salt.

Rosie said...

Glad to hear you are doing some pampering! Am loving the lip balm (the boys do too - they keep trying to pinch it!!) Hey have you seen this site? http://www.arthurholmes.co.nz/
You can buy loads of glass & plastic jars & bottles - so many cute designs. The prices seem pretty good and there is no minimum order. Keep resting & looking after yourself. :)

Jenny said...

Wow I never would have thought of making my own lipbalms, you make it look so easy, looks great!

Good luck with the new arrival, hope you don't have to wait too much longer!!

Jenny xx

Katrina said...

Hi Megan, your latest creations look wonderful. Many years ago I used to make my own body products too, and I used to make a hand scrub very similiar to the body scrub - rock salt, a dash of sweet almond oil and then any essential oil, I used lavender and lemon mostly :)
All the best for when your baby arrives :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails