Monday, April 4, 2011

more cleaning...

 
I made up a few more cleaners from Wendyl Nissen's recipes in the weekend- her gorgeous peppermint paste and some lavender laundry powder.  The recipes for these two products aren't on her website yet but I checked with her and she said it was fine to share them here, thanks Wendyl :)
The peppermint paste recipe was made up as a green equivalent to a cleaning paste for baths and sinks-a Jif alternative. I love Jif but after using this paste I might just be a convert- the smell alone was just lovely while cleaning and check out my gleaming tap and sink above- the things I get excited about!

Wendyl's Peppermint Paste
1 cup baking soda
1 tbsp cream of tartar
10 ml liquid castile soap - you can buy Dr Bronner's castile soap in bar and liquid form from Wendyl's website-it is used in a lot of her recipe's so you will get your money's worth!
5 ml water
1ml peppermint essential oil ( I found online that 1 ml is approximately 20 drops so my 10 mls of peppermint oil I bought for $13 should net me around 200 drops). 

1. In a bowl mix together baking soda with the cream of tartar.
2. In a small jug mix liquid castile soap and water. Slowly pour into the powders and mix with a fork until you have a paste. Add more water if you need to.
3.  Add peppermint essential oil and stir to combine.
4. Store in an airtight container and use to clean kitchen and bathroom sinks, baths and toilets.
Wendyl's Lavender Laundry Powder/Clay concentrate
1 cup washing soda (from supermarket or Bin Inn) or Soda Ash
1 cup baking soda
20 drops of lavender essential oil

1. Mix the baking soda and washing soda together in your food processor
2. Mix together the liquid castile soap and the essential oils in a jug. While pulsing the food processor, slowly pour in the liquid until you have a powder or clay formed. This should only take a few seconds. Do not over-mix.
3. Store in an airtight container and use about 1 tablespoon per wash. This is fine in front loaders, great for people with skin allergies and won't leave powder marks on dark clothes.
Wendyl says using washing soda will make more of a clay than using Soda Ash which will make more of a powder but I found that even using the washing soda it was still quite powdery, not as fine as bought laundry powder but not clumpy at all which was good. I tested it on a load of washing and it worked brilliantly too!

Next up is the laundry liquid- my friend made some last week and said it made heaps and worked a treat on her clothes so that's good! The recipe for the laundry liquid/detergent is here if you are keen to give it a go too.  Would love to hear if you have been making any eco-cleaners too :)
Happy cleaning!
Megan x

8 comments:

Catherine said...

♡ thanks heaps for the peppermint paste recipe - I am so going to give that one a go ♡ I am certainly noticing a difference in my grocery bill now that I'm not buying cleaners ♡

Z said...

Hi Megan...

thanks for sharing the recipe. I love your yellow measuring cup and spoon. May I know where did you get those? Want one myself :)


--zeti

Melinda said...

Thanks for sharing the peppermint paste recipe. I do mostly use cleaners that I make up myself but hadn't found a substitute for Jif until now :)

After getting concerned about the aluminium and other nasties in my deodorant I have just started making my own. It works just as well as commercial deodorants and is dead simple to make. Combine 8 tablespoons of coconut oil (I bought mine on Trade Me), 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of arrowroot (in the baking section of the supermaket). Mix to make a paste and use a pea sized amount under each arm. No stinky pits :)

That baby can't be too far away judging by all the cleaning going on at your place!

sweetnektar said...

Hey Megan,
We really are on the same path!! I made the peppermint paste this past weekend to clean out my laundry area, used it on my washing machine and shelves in the garage and you're right, the smell is just divine! Love it! I am on my 3rd batch on laundry liquid since making it in January. It tends to last me about 5 weeks which is great considering I have 3 kids and 2 of them are quite little (messy monkeys!). It really is great and I contemplated making up the powder but the liquid is great so I will probably keep it to that for now! And hey...you're not the only one who gets excited.....I jump up and down when I've made a new eco cleaner, how cool is it to know exactly what's in it knowing you've made it? Love it! Keep up the great work!

nzgreenbuttons said...

I've just made some peppermint paste too! I love the laundry powder too. I make mine without the lavender and use the baby castile soap, it's great stuff! Isn't Wendyl just the best sharing recipes for products that she sells?

Leonie said...

Hi Megan
would you believe I went to town today and bought all my ingredients for the peppermint paste too!!!
And I am busy saving 2ltr milk bottles to put my laundry liquid in. I am however having trouble finding Washing soda powder. In Oz its about $3 in the supermarket - here I can only find crystals. Hubby is bringing me some back in a couple of weeks (which should make for an interesting check through customs). Are the crystals ok to use? I used to make washing powder before but only with the powder not crystals (making sense?)
I am about to do a post about chickens inspired by Wendyl's book.

Tammi said...

Thanks for sharing these....the laundry detergent is quite different from the one I make but I am keen to give it a go :)
x

Sparkle said...

Hey Megan,

I found your blog through Wendyl's newsletter and am so enjoying it :) I love the Peppermint Paste - I used it for my whole bathroom (bar the mirror, but intend to use it next time) and loved the smell. I have a 'shub' and the paste really got to work on the soap build up without too much work from me on the end of a scourer! I have been making the laundry liquid for about 12 months and love it. Intend to use some tee tree oil in the next batch for a break, will see how that goes. You made the laundtry powder look pretty easy though... !

Related Posts with Thumbnails