Thursday, March 22, 2012

being a blogger and a mum

I have come across lots of really thought- provoking and interesting posts about motherhood on blogs lately so I thought I would add my two cents worth!!  This is a post I have started to write so many times and I never publish it as I never started my blog to write about my day to day life and parenthood and all its highs, lows and challenges.  I started my blog to share ideas as that is what I am passionate about- ideas, crafting, design, cool stuff, tips etc.  I hate to think that people read my blog and feel they are less of a mum because they don't make all the stuff I do!

I never started a blog to make out I am this 'super mum' with a perfect house, perfect children and living this idyllic life. My life has the same challenges as any other mum of 3 young children. I just don't share all that on here because I don't really want to write about that- I love writing about crafty ideas, projects, inspiring blogs, all the stuff I love as a person, not just as a mother.   I'm not going to write about toilet training drama's or tantrum chucking children or a whingy baby on here as this blog really is my 'happy place' where I am me - excitable, creative, passionate and full of ideas.  Not the grumpy mum dealing with the usual tantrums, tears and challenges of life as a mum of 3.

My blog is not a reflection on my day to day life, it is purely a crafty, creative space. Sometimes I might mention something or other about what's happening in my life or write a post with photo's of a nice place we've been but not that much.  I don't want my blog to be a diary as such, I want it to be place where I am inspired and where I inspire others I hope!  Of course most of the things I make are for my children but that doesn't make me this amazing mother!  I'm just someone who really loves to make stuff and gets so much pleasure from the process of making- right from getting the idea, gathering the supplies, working out how to make it, and then seeing the joy on my kids faces when they get it/play with it.  Being creative and sharing ideas is such a part of me and I get so much pleasure from it.

I get a lot of people asking me how I manage to have 3 children under 5 and still have time to create, blog and have a tidy house. And the answer is I don't!! Some weeks I don't get a chance to do any crafting and most days my washing pile is on a couch instead of in drawers. I think there is more to life than having the washing put away every day though!!!  And my husband still cooks more than I do. I seemt o go through spates of cooking heaps than fading away again. This week I've been pretty good but who knows how long that will last! Having 3 children under 5 is so unbelievably full on - I think some people think that I make it look easy and therefore I have quite a cruisy life with lots of time for crafting and time on the computer!!! The reason it probably looks 'easy' when in fact it isn't is just that I have had more practice so I can cope with a baby okay compared to my first baby.  Jack is a really good day sleeper and sleeps for maybe 3- 3 a half hours a day. So in a typical week I have approx 6 hours a week in broken bits (and that doesn't count cleaning, tidying and all the other admin jobs that need doing to run a family) to do all that I do without children right in front of me (I have two days a week without the girls here.) And that's time just at home as obviously I've always got at least one child with me if I have to go anywhere during the week. The rest of the time I either have one, two or three children with me.
Some weeks I get a bit of time but most weeks it is just a matter of squeezing it into what precious moments I have, sometimes not till 8:30 at night. It is not easy having 3 young children, and having them quite close in age is even more exhausting in that I have really just had babies or been pregnant for the last 5 years.  I am feeling like possibly things are going to get a little easier soon with one child soon to start school and one child having another day at daycare. Of course Jack will be a toddler soon though and drop to one sleep so I'm not really sure if I will have much more time!!!

So please don't think I am this super mum with a perfect house because I'm not and I never set out to make other mums feel like that from reading my blog- I share things to inspire and encourage others to have a go at making things- not to go 'Wow look at me aren't I amazing'!  I just want other mums to get a little bit of pleasure and enjoyment from reading my blog and get inspired to make some things as well if they are that way inclined! I really really enjoy writing blog posts and wish I had more time for it as I could honestly write one most days.  I have so much in my head so I hope you continue to enjoy reading my blog and know that it is just one aspect of my life and one that is a really positive and happy part of my life.

And now I'll click publish!
Megan x

30 comments:

Deb Robertson said...

Hurray!!! Great post... I agree your blog can be what you want it to be. Keep up the good work.

Lesley said...

Well said - and it's been said before too, hasn't it, elsewhere. Keep up the good work, and we don't need to see your washing pile or dishes needing doing to know that you're a real life mum of 3 under 5 (hats off to you - my two are only 20 months apart, and with one at school now I really feel like I'm out of the trenches at last). Although I've often thought how funny it would be if we all blogged one day about the worst part of the house needing doing and took a pic!

Vanessa said...

Your blog is fabulous. I love everything on it and I hope to find time someday to make all the little things in your tutorials. You should never feel pressured to write about anything other than that which you feel compelled to write about. Keep up the great work. It's why we all keep coming back. :)

Therese said...

Well said Megan. I thikn those of us who are Mum's, crafters, workers, students (whatever) can really relate to this. Looking at blogs is part of my 'happy place' too & I always enjoy coming to visit your happy place.Well done

Charmel said...

Megan your blog is fantastic, being a mother of two girls 9 and 12 we all enjoy your amazing crafts (they especially loved the dolls houses).
Keep blogging about anything you like. I'll keep reading :)

tartankiwi said...

I believe that a blog is a space where we share what we are comfortable to share. I personally will never write a post about toilet training and have a whole list of similar topics that will remain stored away in my head but will never make it onto my blog for whatever reason.
I also have friends who ask how I manage to do so much on my blog when I have two small children. My answer is simple- my house is probably not as tidy as yours!
Please keep sharing what makes you happy- If I thought you were doing it to come across as a super Mum, I for one wouldn't be following you!

meg said...

Ditto. I think most of us are in a similar situation whether it be with kids or work or housework! Everyone likes a bit of inspiration. I don't tend to read blogs which are overly complainy or messy because I like the ones with pretty pictures and great ideas. I think all of us are just doing our best and when we have time to blog and be creative it's awesome. Keep up the good work Megan!

Max said...

Who wants to read about dirty houses and screaming kids?
(unless it very funny). Not me. Why do blogs have to be warts and all? I'm not intrested on anyones warts thanks, even my own. Pretty projects and sewing tho, yes! Please!

Angela Noelle said...

But your house is pretty clean, right? :P Hahaha.

CHD said...

I hear you. I have a small craftly blog about the things I make, generally. With having 4 kids they occasionally creep in. It's not about them and I am a private person and don't want it to be about them. It is my escape and has certainly made me finish many a craft project which would previously not have been, because I have someone to show and share it with now- even if it is just in the virtual world. I am no longer a closet crafter. I've been inspired by your blog on more than one occasion. So, thank you. I have a play house that will be blessed by inspiration from you (when I find some time). I hope I may inspire someone else too. Cx

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

My home cleanliness took a major nosedive when my blog started...:)

You know, I never get why folks get all bent out of shape about reading inspiration blogs -- I don't want to read about someone's pile of dirty laundry, I can go look at my own! I look to blogs to see something beautiful, something inspiring, something cool I might want to do someday...Blogs are so cool! Especially yours. :)

Jenny said...

Great post! I use my blog as a way to dwell on the positive and to be able to reflect on all the good stuff that come with being a stay at home Mum. Sometimes when I'm having one of 'those' days I look back at my blog - and think 'yes' I did achieve something (even if its only feeding, bathing and changing my two kids.)... I really love your blog and find it so inspiring!

MissMollyCoddle said...

Well put! I've felt like a bit of a show off lately. But I love showing what I've made, and having an outlet to do so motivates me to finish. My blog is a little bit of me time. I don't want to write about the day to day mundane, just like I don't want to spend my precious time reading about others, or looking at other peoples piles of washing, how depressing, I have my own (permanently). I love your blog and all it's inspiration! :)

Leah said...

What a brilliant post hon! It's always nice to know that other people have piles of washing in their lounge too!!! Have a fab week.
Leah
x

Jenny Rudd said...

melissa@juliasbookbag.com

you said it sooooooooo well, in fact way better than I could

Hootnz said...

I hear ya! I too like to blog mainly about crafty goings on, and when I'm crafting many things get neglected... but I justify it as my sanity time! And my heart goes out to you...when my last boy was born my eldest was 3 and half, it's tough, but gets easier as the years pass and the school years start :)

BigLittle said...

Right with you. Lisa xx

Miriam said...

I think your blog is love Megan and I think it has a special quality because you keep it as a beautiful, inspiring place. Mine is all mixed up with family and craft and that is okay too - because a blog is first for us and then for others. I would never think someone has a perfect life because I only see lovely things on their blog. Your blog is lovely. And my house is a mess and I don't garden that's why I have time to make cool stuff - we ALL make time for what matters to us. :o)

greta @ ontopofalilypad said...

Great post, totally agree, I know some people like to get into the sad & hard stuff but when I can get on the computer I need to look at pretty things! I hope you haven't had any trolls or anything, that would make me mad...

Notchka said...

We can never know a whole person by what they chose to share online.

Also I firmly believe you have to make time for what you love and lucky us you choose to share your creative endeavours.

Its always a pleasure to drop by and I love your attention to detail and your enthusiasm. You don't have to justify your blog to anyone so don't let the haters get you down.

Oh - and I did actually blog about toilet training once, but in a (I hope) funny way.

Julie said...

A great post Megan & I really enjoy your blog even tho my "kids" have grown up and left home now - your blog is always inspiring and such a lovely place to visit - looking at other blogs is my "happy place" also and have just ventured out and started my own :-) And I just ADORE your dolls house and spend many times going back to visit that post. Keep up the great inspiring work that you do - Julie :-)

Lola said...

Que blog mais colorido! Adorei! Beijos
http://antonellaesuaboneca.blogspot.com.br/

Craftysquirrel said...

I blog for the same reasons, and enjoy yours for the inspiration it provides. I hear you on the housework front - sitting looking at my laundry mountain on the couch as I write this - ha. I also have to say I fully appreciate your recipes as several have become family favorites! Happy crafting - Lisa

becky_tee said...

I love it, great post. I blog too and my friends have asked when I can possibly find the time. What I blog is mostly the craft, art, activities I do with them so it's just a case of having the camera nearby some of the time I publish after they're in bed at night. During the day I might grab a cuppa and read some blogs while they're playing. You inspired me to do up our own playhouse and we all love it so keep doing what you do- inspiring others and putting smiles on peoples faces : )

clare said...

I can only agree with all the other lovely comments. Love your blog Megan. Just the way it is!
x

Leonie said...

Agreed agreed agreed! With 3 children aged 4 and under too, I hear ya! There is no time for anything and like you, my block is the happy crafty sharing place - not a place to wine about how the kids seem to insist on driving me and each other nuts every other day :p There is little time for anything and when I do sit down to create something we normally take a team approach - everyone has a part to play or gets to make something themselves! No-one is perfect, no mum, no home, no child... but what counts is that we're all happy in ourselves and in what we do. Our blogs are what we make it, and will only ever be what we want to share which is not generally a full detailed account of every painful/trying/boring moment of our lives. You are inspiring with your projects - keep blogging in your way. We all love you x

jennie said...

Only just seen this!
Excellent post Megan -
its hard when people make judgements just from the 'online self' for sure.XX

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

Nicely put.

Hey Mickey said...

Great post Megan.....for me like so many others reading blogs is about having some "me" time, and escaping the day to day grind, i dont really want to be reading about it when i'm living it! You have a lovely blog with lots of great inspiration - keep up the great work!
Michelle

MsToothFairy said...

When we blog about the warts and all parts of our lives, its the equivalent of putting up Facebook pics of ourselves on fat, bad hair days with no makeup on- and who does that?

Some people can write hilariously about the less savoury aspects of life and others choose to leave it out-each to their own.
I think the number of followers you have speaks for itself Megan.

Related Posts with Thumbnails