Thursday, October 11, 2012

a book + a gift : for grown ups

One of my favourite reads each week is the Herald Viva magazine out each Wednesday- it is such a great magazine full of articles related to fashion, beauty, homes, food and wine...'the good things in life' as their tagline says. One thing I really like is their spotlight on new books which is where I get a lot of ideas for books I would like myself or to give as gifts. So I thought I'd make up a list of books that would make great Christmas gifts (most of them have been featured in the Viva) to share with you. Then I thought it's always nice to get something that goes with the book so I've had fun doing some virtual shopping to give you some ideas for gifts as well. Most are easy on the budget but there are a few pricier things that you could always substitute for a more budget friendly alternative (like the Save and Splurge page in Your Home and Garden magazine each month!)

Pipi: the Cookbook : Recipes from Pipi CafeCake Stand
Pipi: the cookbook + Cake Stand
Annabel Langbein the Free Range Cook: Simple PleasuresGreen Grey
Simple Pleasures by Annabel Langbein + Kathmandu picnic cooler bag
Treats from Little and Friday
Treats from Little and Friday + Mason Cash Heart Mixing Bowl
La Cigale: Recipes and Stories from the Family Who Brought a Slice of France to New ZealandOoh-La La!
La Cigale: recipes and stories + Ooh La La tea towel 

Bowerbird: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You CollectBOX OF SWING TAGS $14.50
Bowerbird by Sibella Court + Box of swing tags from Maisy and Grace

Modern Vintage StyleGreengate Rosie Blue Tin flour/sugar shaker
Modern Vintage Style by Emily Chalmers + Greengate Flour&Sugar Shaker
Design*Sponge Big Book of Ideas for the Home: A Guide to Inspiring Homes - and All the Tools You Need to Create Your Own
Design*Sponge at Home by Grace Bonney+ vintage candle holder from Green With Envy
Home SewnDoily Travel Sewing Kit
Home Sewn + Doily travel sewing kit
The Dress Circle: New Zealand Fashion Design Since 1940Designers Guild Compact Wallet~ Camellia
The Dress Circle + Designers Guild Compact Wallet
Jemma Kidd Make-Up Secrets: Solutions to Every Woman's Beauty Issues and Make-Up DilemmasPink Starlet, Lipstick
Jemma Kidd Make-up Secrets + Karen Murrell Lipstick
Gifts from the Garden: 100 Gorgeous Homegrown Presents
Gifts from the Garden + Garden Pots in Wire Basket
PatternOrla Kiely Address Book
Pattern by Orla Kiely + Orla Kiely address book
Mollie Makes Christmas: Crochet, Knitting, Sewing, Felting, Papercraft and MoreSaint Nick Ribbon
Mollie Makes Christmas + Saint Nick Ribbon
Bangers to Bacon: A New Zealand Guide to Making, Cooking and Using Sausages and Cured Meats
Bangers to Bacon + Oxo Goodgrip tongs
Richie McCaw The OpensideAll Blacks Pocket Scarf
Richie McCaw The Open Side  + AllBlacks scarf
Stoked | Al Brown
Stoked + Fire and Flavor Skewers and Rub
I hope these ideas come in handy for you (I really enjoyed writing this post!) and let me know if you have any other books that you think would make great gifts or are hoping to get yourself.  Next up I'm going to write a 'Book + a gift: for children' post so look out for that too. But first I'm off to add some of these books to my wish list!
Megan x

8 comments:

Little Gumnut said...

those are some great ideas!!

Naturally Carol said...

Annabel Langbein has renovated my Granny's house and apparently there is an article in the current issue of NZ House & Garden this month..thanks for the reminder to look it up on the internet.

A little bit Country said...

Great post! I love the Modern Vintage style book and flour shaker. And anything Orla Kiely is always good in my books!

Miriam said...

oh me too - great selection. Hopefully your hubby has a good look at the list too!! ;-)

Naturally Carol said...

Just a postscript..I visited the website featuring the Anabel's house and they said she bought it off a swindler..that was not my Grandmother..he bought it off her and then onsold it to Anabel..hehe! It looks nothing like what it did though..lovely but the character has gone completely. A bit sad really..for me, though I'm pleased it's cared for.

Leah said...

I want the lot!! My local bookstore has a copy of the Mollie Makes Christmas book ready to collect tomorrow - I can't wait to curl up in front of the fire (yep it's going to be freezing here) and have a read.

Have a lovely weekend hon - I hope it's a bit warmer at that end of the island!

Leah
x

Lily said...

What great ideas. I am looking forward to your children's list too. Lily. xxx

becky_tee said...

I'll have a copy of The treats from Little and Friday + Mason Cash heart mixing bowl please! They'd look perfect on the open shelving I have planned for our ( whenever we get our house fixed post EQ) kitchen reno :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails