Thursday, December 9, 2010

felt gingerbread houses

Last Christmas I came across this gorgeous gingerbread house decoration on the cool blog How about orange.  The house was designed by the very clever crafter and author Betz White.
So this year when I signed up for the kiwi christmas ornament swap I knew what I wanted to make straight away! I bought the e-book with the pattern and instructions for the house and five other cute ornaments from here- http://shop.craftypod.com/trimmings.
The instructions were really easy to follow and although they took a little bit of time to make up they were definitely worth it (and I got quicker the more I made as you do). I made the houses slightly bigger than the pattern. One little tip - if instructions say to use craft glue don't think that PVA will do- I had a disaster with my first one trying to use PVA!!
I made up these little bags for my fellow ornament swappers.
And for my little ones I made a house each with their initial on the door and added a bit of snow and sweets to the roof.
I've received some gorgeous ornaments in the swap too so far so will share them soon :)
Megan

18 comments:

tartankiwi said...

I LOVE your little houses! They are SOOO cute and so beautifully presented.
I am sure that your children will treasure their special personalised versions. Great minds think alike... I also made an extra version of my ornament with my daughters initial (and the year) embroidered on it.

Leonie said...

Oh they are GORGEOUS!!!and I love how you've packaged them. Cant wait to get mine .. eek!!!
My ornaments are winging their way to NZ so I hope your's arrives soon.
You are so clever!!

Bellgirl said...

How lovely they are, nice work!

Bellgirl said...

BTW I've blogged our swap today, sorry I've been so slow! The zippy is getting lots of use!: http://bellgirl.com.au/2010/12/mini-swap-mouse-in-my-house.html

maree said...

Those are so c-u-t-e! You have put so much time and effort into them:) I would have loved to have received them if I had been in your group, and know your peeps will love them. And the packaging is as super as the decoration!!!!!

Katie said...

Gorgeous wee houses!

Rosie said...

They are so lovely. Well done!!

Paula said...

Megan,
These little gingerbread houses are adorable. You put so much detail
and time into each and every one, you did such a great job.

You should enter these into my sewing challenge here at, Paula's Sewing Challenges, and you could win a little something, something.

Hope to see you there soon.
Cheers,
Paula

Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

Ohh I love them! Very cool Gingerbread houses.
I will def have to make those for next Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, well done. A lot of work, but worth it x

Natalie No-cash said...

Oh myyyyy - how long did they take you? They're so cute!!! I need to find some inspiration for easy Santa sacks now..

Seaside Siblings said...

Oh they are adorable!

Hootnz said...

Gorgeous Gingerbread house, I especially like the ones you made for the kiddies! very cute :)

Unknown said...

Love them ! The packaging is amazing too !

Notchka said...

I commented on the Flickr group - these are just adorable. These are just so so so adorable!!

Maxabella said...

You are so clever! I would be so over the moon to receive one of these little pieces of yum for Christmas!!

PS - leave another comment on the giveaway post as the 'facebook' link is eligible for another. I made the edit after I read your comment. I always forget facebook!! x

Amy said...

Oh My..
So cute. v. happy that I've stumbled upon your lovely blog.

have a happy day.

xx Amy

Amy Seven-Stitches said...

What darling houses. I've always had a soft spot for Betz White's designs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails