Tuesday, August 9, 2011

foccacia bread recipe

Well, I finally did something on my "2011 things to do" list last week- I learnt how to bake bread yay!  I saw a recipe in a Woman's Day magazine 'Pataks' recipe liftout a few week's ago for foccacia bread so I thought it would be a good one for my first foray into bread making. I really enjoyed making the dough and it was great that Amelie could also help with the kneading.  We both got pretty excited seeing that the dough had done what it was meant to do and had risen in the bowl after putting it in the hot water cupboard for an hour so it was a fun activity to do with her. This recipe also gets you to divide the dough into 4 so Amelie got to roll one out and sprinkle the rosemary and salt on her very own one which she loved- and actually ate- Stella too so it really was a winner!

Here's the recipe if you would like to give it a go...
Rosemary and Sea Salt Focaccia
Makes 4 small loaves
Preparation 20 minutes (plus proving)
Cooking 20 minutes

3 cups plain flour
half teaspoon salt
7g sachet dried yeast- I bought these sachets which I think are 8g each but it didn't seem to matter!
1 cup luke warm water
quarter cup olive oil  (I used Village Press- a beautiful olive oil from a good friend's family business in the Hawkes Bay)
laves of 3 rosemary sprigs
2 teaspoons sea salt

1. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in yeast. Make a well in the centre. Add water and 2 tablespoons oil. Mix to a firm dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 10 minutes.
2. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and set aside for 1 hour. Use fist to knock back. Knead for 1-2 minutes. Preheat oven to very hot- 220 degrees. Lightly grease and line to baking trays.
3. Break dough into 4 even pieces. Roll out into 4 ovals about 1cm thick. Place on trays. Brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with rosemary leaves and sea salt. Use fingertips to make indentations in the dough. Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.

And here's a tip from my mum- mix a little olive oil with some balsamic vinegar in a small dipping bowl and dip bread in- yum!!!
Thanks so much for all the comments for my apples giveaway too- they have been so lovely to read and I really appreciate them thank you :) It has been really neat seeing where everyone is from too.
Megan x

6 comments:

Karlene said...

Yummmm...this looks so tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've recently bought a bread maker and am not having much luck lol :-)

Anonymous said...

Isn't homemade focaccia the best?
:)

Rochelle's Lenz said...

I love making bread! and it is such a cool thing to do with the kids. KB even "makes" her own bread with a very squishy cushion we have and masters her kneading ability. Make more bread - its the most therapeutic and rewarding activity!

Leonie said...

love homemade foccacia...just wish gluten free bread was as good!

zeti said...

Hi Megan, may I know where did u buy your sweet heart shape measuring spoons?

Megan said...

Hi, the heart spoons were from Living and Giving- I've found them online...
http://www.livingandgiving.co.nz/In_The_Kitchen/Baking/5025778/Heart_Measuring_Cups_Set%5B5%5D.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails