Monday, July 25, 2011

a mousehouse dollshouse

About a year and a half ago I saw this post on Lil Magoolie about a Barbie dolls house inspired by the interior designer Johnathan Adler and created by photographer Michael Williams. It really stuck in my head as a brilliant project as it combines all of the things I love- interior design, crafting, and making fun things for my girls to play with. I searched on Trade Me for a suitable 'do-up' wooden dolls house and was lucky enough to find a renovators dream one- it had a brown roof, painted blue walls with fake leaves stuck all over it, dark blue felt covered staircases, grey carpet and green felt all around the front but it was perfect as I was after a nice big one with lots of rooms.  I'd show you some 'before' pics but I lost them when my computer crashed last year!
We gave it to Amelie for her 3rd birthday just as it was- it came with a little bit of furniture so the girls had fun playing with it. Then I got stuck into phase one- removing all the felt using two whole tins of acetone, ripping up the carpet and painting the exterior and interior. I matched the exterior to our real house with Dulux 'Mt Eden' on the roof and Dulux 'Lake Whakarewarewa' on the sides and painted the whole interior Resene 'Bianca'. Then.... I stuck it in the shed, ready and waiting for me to begin Phase 2- choosing colours and  themes for each room.......and there it stayed for at least 6 months- Amelie would see it in there and ask when she was getting her dolls house to play with- not much of a birthday present!! I got a bit distracted with other projects and I couldn't decide on how I was going to decorate it- wallpaper or paint, which rooms where, and the whole colour scheme (very important of course!) Finally I nailed it down to mostly yellows, turquoise and pinks which I chose for my 'real' house too so with that decided I was finally away. I went to a scrapbooking shop here in Tauranga (now closed unfortunately) and chose most of the 'wallpapers' and then it was just a case of deciding on the rooms and finding all the furniture and other bits and bobs for each one. Most pieces were from TradeMe or Lundby with some pieces gifts for the girls for their birthdays and Christmas.
So do you want to see the rooms? and yes I did go completely OTT with this project...
Amelie's room- butterfly wallpaper, bunting sticker and wooden 'A' from scrapbooking shop, bed, side table and wardrobe from TradeMe, set of drawers came with the dollshouse (I painted them all white),  Lundby mirror, photo frame, lamp and books, chair and 'rug' (and also couch in entrance way) from this MoMA set from the Museum of Modern Art, New York,  Lundby frames with mini art works - a mini version of the personalised photo art I made for Amelie and mini version of the pink bird artwork by Belinda of Moon Mum that I won in a giveaway from On Top of a Lily Pad blog.  I made the little quilt and cushion on the bed.
** For each of the art works I used in my dolls house I contacted the artists first to check that it was okay to put a mini version of their art in the dolls house and I only used art works that I had already bought for my real house or won as in the case above!**
Stella's room- Cot, change table and circle rug from Lundby, wooden cupboard, red trolley and toy from Trademe, rocking chair came with the dollhouse, wallpaper, rocking horse and wooden 'S' from scrapbooking shop ( I painted them in Resene 'Sargent Pepper'),  Lundby lightshade, frames from Lundby with a mini version of this art work from Belle and Boo, a mini version of the photo art I made for Stella and a mini version of this art work from Petit Collage. I made the cot quilt and cushion using a ballet girls fabric from Stitchbird Fabrics.
Here are the real sized art works along with a few more on our kitchen wall.
Lounge: Lundby couch and arm chairs that I re-covered in Amy Butler's 'Optic Blossom' fabric- yes I was even reupholstering for this project!! (once again my hubby thought I had gone slightly crazy), Lundby book case, books, coffee table and lamp, wooden beads for vases, wallpaper and Eiffel Tower from scrapbooking shop and mini binoculars from TradeMe. I made the circle artworks by gluing scrapbooking card circles to play- money coins.
Entrance Way: wallpaper and flowers from scrapbooking shop, hall table came with the dollshouse (I painted it and modpodged some craft paper to the top) Lundby vase, cuckoo clock sticker from the MoMA set and frame from TradeMe. Mini version of "Love" art work from Jen at Made By Girl.
Here's the real version of this art in our home...
Are you still with me, there's lots more...!!
Kitchen: Orla Kiely wallpaper-I don't actually have this in my home but I would sooooo love to! I scanned and printed an Orla Kiely address book from Small Acorns I had to make the wallpaper. You can buy the actual wallpaper here in NZ from Small Acorns as well. Mini version of "Home is where the HeART is" print from Dear Colleen, table, chairs and side board came with the dolls house (I painted them), Lundby oven and sink units, wooden stool and bowl, clock from this free printable from How About Orange blog
Master bedroom: wallpaper and flowers from scrapbooking shop, dressing table came with the dollshouse, wooden bead for vase, bed, bedside tables, armchair, ottomon and frames from Lundby, art in frames from scrapbooking card, I made the bed cover.
The craft room: desk, chair, shelf unit, sewing machine, scissors, basket with knitting, radio and pink sewing box from TradeMe, ironing board and iron came with the dolls house (I put a new fabric on top), heart wall decorations from scrapbooking shop, sewing badges from Angela. I made the noticeboard and chair cushion, "Get Excited and Make Things" print from here, wooden bead for pencil holder and toothpicks for coloured pencils.
Bathroom: MissPrint wallpaper sample from The Paper Room. Bath, shower, toilet, mirror, vanity and duck from Lundby, toothbrush and toothpaste from TradeMe, shelf and bottles came with the dollshouse- I added a Stitchbird Katie Rose fabric hand-towel.

So you can see why this project took a very long time to finish! It was so much fun designing each room and the girls love playing with the house, although of course it doesn't look anything like this at the moment- the girls just don't have quite the same appreciation for design and layout that I do....
And if you want to see more of my real house you'll just have to get your hands on a copy of the latest issue of Homestyle magazine out today :)
So do you have a favourite room?
Megan x
31/7/11 Thank you to Carrie at Ohdeedoh, Kellie at Minimusthave, Maddie at LilMagoolie, CoolMomPicks and Aimee at Baby Bites for posting about my dollshouse and to all the lovely bloggers and twitterers sharing it too!
10/9/11
The dolls house now has electricity! Check out this post to see more....


94 comments:

remaliah said...

WOW, that is the most INCREDIBLE dolls house I have ever seen! That looks like a lot of time and fun went into planning and making it :) Well done!!

Anonymous said...

Megan - clever!!!! I ma so getting a copy of the magazine too. You should be an interior designer. This makes me want a doll's house too. EXCEPTIONAL!!! I am amazed.

clare said...

Oh. my. gosh. This is fabulous Megan! It does make me think you're a little crazy (in a good way! just the time and effort is incredible!) The detail is AMAZING! It is really beautiful, what a treasure xxx

Ange said...

WOW! That's all I can think of to say. This is amazing, your girls are so, so lucky. I can't imagine how much time went into the meticulous planning, sourcing and executing of the design...it is beautiful :o)

gaijinwife said...

OH. MY. GOD. You weren't wrong :)

Makeminemidcentury said...

I am absolutely speechless. This is quite possibly the best dolls' house I've ever seen.

You've inspired me to get stuck back into mine.

Fay said...

Wow! You've done an awesome job, its beautiful.

Aimee & Paul said...

WOW this is AMAZING!!!
You are so talented and your girls and Jack are so lucky to have such an awesome mummy, and to get in the magazine that is awesome, I soooo want one!

meg said...

Oh my goodness! Really everyone else has used all the words I wanted to say... amazing, incredible, wonderful, awesome!! Well done.

tartankiwi said...

Great job Megan! It look A-MAZ-ING!!! I bet Amelia loves it.
Pretty sure that your dolls house is more stylish than my whole house!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

That is one amazing dolls house Megan! Well done on an outstanding job. You know what our girls want to do now don't you? I've been meaning to do up their houses for ages but not yet started. I think a trip to the paint shop and scrapbooking shop is in order. Fabulous news for your to have it in a mag as well. How exciting! I'll have to look out for it.

Rosie said...

That is soooo lovely. Amazing! Can't wait to see the mag. Must head to the shops today :)

Leah said...

You are amazing! That is the most incredible dolls house I have ever seen. I want to live in it!!! You have to keep that in your family forever. My one life regret is that I didn't keep the dollshouse my grandparents made for me. You come to appreciate these things more and more as an adult don't you. Yours is just totally amazing!!!!

Unknown said...

WOW! That is so awesome and inspirational! Not sure what the etiquette on this is, but do you mind if I 'pin' a couple of these pics on my pinterest? and possibly use one or two in a blog post I am planning this week on a list of my favourite blogs? I am new to the blogosphere so still learning about these things.
Co-incidentally you have the same Belle and Boo print I am hoping to buy for my daughter's room!

Jenny :)

Flower said...

SWEET SWEET JOSEPH & MARY! THIS IS THE COOLEST POST/ DOLL HOUSE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING XXXXXX

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Megan..no wonder your real home is in a magazine if that is the kind of decorating you have done in it! My favourite doll's house rooms are Amelie's room and the lounge room although every single room is decorated exquisitely in my opinion. I am in awe!

Karlene said...

Megan...AWESOME! What love you've poured into this beautiful dolls house. I'm sure this will become a family treasure - and how neat that the house is decorated like your own...that makes it even more special. Congrats on the magazine, I'll be sure to buy a copy. x

Jo said...

What a special, special house you have made for your lovely daughters. It will surely become a family keepsake. Just got the mag and can't wait to read your article. I love reading your blog, I always end up feeling inspired and motivated to do more crafty things with my little one. Well done, a truely magnificent effort and result!

sweet emmelie said...

love it, love it love it!!!!How clever are you to create something so so beautiful. I can't wait to buy the mag and see your house. How exciting for you. congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I would be hard pushed to pick a favourite room as I LOVE them all....what a great job Megan. I want a dollhouse for myself now :)
x

Cat said...

I thought my lil girl had the cutest dolls house until I saw this!
This is exceptionally cute and I feel the need of a makeover for our dolls house - super dooper cute -
LOVE IT

ps: I have just as much if not MORE fun than Tsunami when it comes to arranging furniture etc in the dolls house

Craftysquirrel said...

Wow - I am impressed , this must have been a true labour of love. That Orla Keily wallpaper is my favourite - I have been eyeing up her handbags. I will have to get a copy of the magazine for inspiration - our dolls house looking very shabby in comparison now!

Jodz said...

OMG! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I want one for me. lol

Katrina said...

Just amazing Megan - the dolls house is brilliant! Well done you!

HamiltonMum said...

I spied the dollshouse in Homestyle and immediately mentally bookmarked it to show hubby - then I realised that the reason I recognised so many bits in the article was cos they were from your blog - and in fact from you (I was skimming the pics not reading the words) - lovely to see you and I am SOOO going to try and steal your idea for Miss S :)

Jessica said...

Truely amazing! You should be very proud! x

Leonie said...

wow I am speechless!! this is INCREDIBLE!!! You are AMAZING Megan!!!

MissMollyCoddle said...

Love it!! I'm finally feeling inspired. Have done nothing to Poppet's since blogging my intentions, so feel slightly better after reading that yours sat for months. Love the furniture, will def be giving mine a lick of white paint now. Will be buying the mag too, I love to have a nosey!

Allana said...

Best.Dolls house. EVER!! Oh my goodness! I am glad you said it doesnt look like that now haha, The Munchkin would do the same :)

Catching the Magic said...

Wow! Such an inspiring masterpiece! Well done! It is absolutely gorgeous! Incredible! So clever!

gretbert said...

Wow, I think this is the coolest post I have ever seen! Totally amazing, I can't believe there is a craft room!!!

My daughter has my old dollhouse but it needs a makeover... I hear TradeMe calling...

nz green buttons said...

Oh my!!!! I'm speechless! I think I'd keep it just for myself and not give it to my daughter, it's stunning. Amazing detail, I hope your little one treasures it, lucky girl.

aimee @ lily pad designs nz said...

when I saw your whole house in homestyle last night Megan - and spotted you in person with your gorg family - I squealed in excitement and ran to tell my hubby - like I know you as a best friend! I was so proud of you your house is AMAZING, so designer yet comfy and liveable. I NEED your library - all colour coded - how did you do it? And this dollhouse's is the coolest thing I've ever seen, needs to go in an art gallery! xx

Rhiannon said...

Oh my wow, that is the most amazing dolls house ever! You have two very lucky little girls. Also, your real house is pretty amazing as well, I will definitely be looking for that magazine next time I'm out and about.

Ruby in the Dust said...

ooh, can I move in there? It's beautiful!! well done, I can see you spent lots of time planning this :)

Beautiful Day said...

I was looking at the dollshouse at school today and thought it really needed a makeover. Now I have my inspiration! Scrapbboking papers for wallpaper - genius. Making mini prints and upholstering - amazing. All those details - wow!You are incredibly clever! xxx

Cotton Kiwi said...

Oh Megan you are so amazing. I adore that dolls house and all the effort and time you put into it and your girls will have happy memories of that for ages. I am so impressed you let them play with it too! I'd be having fits over the design being messed up! Will definately look out for your house in the mag!

Max said...

Wow, that is amazing Megan! What a labour of love! I love that parts are modelled on your real home, LOVE the Eiffel tower in the lounge OF COURSE and the craft room-so cool!!! Have to say the bedroom with the butterfly wall paper and bunting is my absolute fave. Which room do your kids like best? Cant wait to see your place in Homestyle, I shall be popping out for a copy forthwith.
This really is the most brilliant blog x

Karyn said...

That is a work of art! Beautiful. I think I'd be putting it on a shelf to admire.

Songbird Designs said...

Megan, this is AMAZING. I am speechless. Fantastic and very clever. Well done. Sx

Stitchbird said...

When can I move in! This is WOW!

Angela said...

HOLY CRAP.

As per my previous email(s), this is insane, and fills me with want. I could cry for coveting it, so.

You have done an INCREDIBLE job. I bow at your feet.

Mandy @ Belle and Boo said...

This is so utterly beautiful, would you mind if I posted a few pics on my blog of the tiny belle and boo picture with a link back to you?
oohhh i love it.

Renee said...

Wow - words can't describe how amazing that is - how clever are you!? I wish my actual house looked like that!!! WOW!!!

Rochelle Watson said...

Megan... you blow me away! Such an incredibly talented women with three children under tow! How do you do it? That house is amazing but I wouldn't expect anything less from you! Wish I had a bit of your talent! Love it!!!!!!

Las Aventuras de Teresita said...

Beautiful dollhouse :) Congrats!

giozi said...

Ohhh love love love your house. You have until a love print, and Belle and boo print :) wow
I don't have words. Is the most beautiful dollhouse that I ever seen.
Congratulations. great job.

kristin said...

This dollhouse is AMAZING! The greatest! You did a really incredible job. (found via Ohdeedoh)

Jen said...

Amazing and inspiring! I got a Lundby dollhouse via Freecycle and had plans to "renovate" for my 3yo daughter as well - yours is SO gorgeous!!!

Julie said...

After reading this I went out and bought the magazine so I could look at your real house - which I just loved and thought it was amazing - as was the dolls house. Keep up the great work as I find your blog so,.so inspiring. :-) Julie

Kirsten Anderson said...

The gorgeous cover of the mag made me grab it the other day and I loved the dolls house so when I spotted the post by Cotton Kiwi I came by for a closer look. Utterly amazing! I would love to live there.Your girls are so lucky - that you let them play with it haha!

Rocio said...

This is the most beautiful dollhouse I have ever seen! Wonderfully detailed! Your daughter and her dolls are very lucky.

Bianca said...

Love what you did, such an inspiration for me when the time comes for my little one to have a doll house!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!! I'm very jealous. Not just of the beautiful dolls house but of your amazing decorating talent.

Birdie

Melissa said...

AMAZING!!!! Love it!!!

MinksieMoo said...

Wow Megan what a fantastic project. I am just starting our as an Interior Designer and I think your dolls house project is wonderful. I'm keen to give this ago myself, carefully disgused as a present for Miss 4!

Miss Pussycat said...

I love this! You must be so pleased with the results of your labour x

Brierley + Clover said...

Absolutely unbelievable - well done!

Widge said...

Coolest dolls house ever! absolute WOW

Rowantree Design said...

This is amazing! Love it! When can I move in?

Tessa White said...

Just amazing, such a family heirloom in the making...you have poured so much love and effort into this and I am going to have to share this for sure..... In feel a blog inspired post coming on xx

Bungalowgirl said...

That is the most gorgeous dollhouse I have ever seen. You must have had so much fun making that. I bought a shadow box lately and have been letting my kids make bits and pieces for it to use as a dolls house but I have been scoping all the curbside giveaway piles hoping to find a renovator and now I have even more inspiration.melx

Leonie said...

WOW WOW WOW - speechless. This. Is. AWESOME!!!

Layla said...

Love the house.I can't get your mag as it isn't avail here so sad so want to see the article. Congrats!

Little stitch and me said...

Amazing!!!! I have an old dolls house from the 1960's you have inspired me to renovate it.

JaneAlexandra said...

LOVE this and totally notice the Orla Kiely wallpaper! -brought me back to my "convert a scandinavian basics dollhouse into a masterpiece" days~ Yes....I was into it during my early teens.

Actually was glue-gunning shingles on the roof when the doorbell rang and I got asked to the Homecoming Dance sophomore year! eeeep~!

Carol said...

This is unbelievably beautiful and inspirational. I can't wait to start my own and will be visiting again to see what else you come up with! Amazing!

Lisa said...

That is fantastic!! My girls have a wooden dollshouse, that I painted the outside of for them last year. Its starting to look quite shabby........guess its going to need a makeover!! Thanks for the inspiration.xx

Stella said...

So beautiful! It really puts my dollhouse to shame! Think I may just try a little harder to pretty mine up now, haha!

Lesley said...

OMG I'm a bit slow here, only just catching up with your blog tonight (beats actually looking at the rugby) - this dolls house is stunning Megan - what vision and patience you have! Our girl is mad keen on Sylvanian families for her upcoming fifth birthday, so dolls houses are featuring heavily on our TM watchlists at the moment. And I shall be buying the Homestyle, so great to see some renowned bloggers featured lately! Keep up your great work.

Teresa said...

Um...wow!!! This is the 3rd time I've come back to look at this amazing house in the last 24 hours. I am in awe - utterly brilliant!

TrulyJaded said...

Wow!! gorgeous! <3

Anonymous said...

OmG, Megan, you have to enter this in some kind of competition,,,ANY competition, it is TRULY AMAZING!!! I want to live in it!! Truly inspiring.....

faith76 said...

Hello, Just discovered your blog in blogland. That doll's house is fantastic, I would keep this all to myself if I had made it and just could not let my little one play with it.

Have a lovely weekend.

Leah x

Corinne said...

Wow... all I can say is wow! Yellow bathroom is my favourite xx

Bee said...

Gasp, AMAZING!

Noosh said...

Megan - You. Are. AMAZING! I found you via Pinterest so your project is really out there now! Great blog and best project ever! I've written a blog post about it/you at NooshLoves.blogspot.com showing only a few pix and linking back - hope you don't mind! It'll go up in the next few days. I would really quite like to move in to your delightful little house!
Tina.x

KiBe said...

I found this via Pinterest too, was just interested because the clip looked like a real room, but I'm so much more excited by it being a dolls house! I have a Smaland/Lundby house waiting to be renovated that I got from a nearly new sale for my little girl, I will be taking some inspiration from this one! If I ever get around to it and uploading pic, I will credit you for any ideas I take!

About the pictures you have used, I think using pictures in this kind of project (especially not for profit) would be considered fair use? But it is nice you asked permission :)

Maria said...

This is gorgious,i love the fresh and bright colors you choose.
Hugs
Maria

Emma said...

This is such a fantastic dollhouse, I love it. I'm in the process of doing up my old dolls house for my daughters. Just made some mini-cushions, its becoming strangely addictive.

Sarah said...

I just finished up-cycling a dollhouse (http://manneredgold.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/cmon-over-play-awhile/) for my 4 year-old...I was feeling pretty proud, but holy crap lady! My girl's playin' with a tin shack compared to this!

SO inspiring. Really. My dream is to keep finding doll house frames to remodel and house every Disney princess in something unique and plastic-free. Thanks to you, I am definitely upping my game!

Anonymous said...

oh - just speechless!

Frida said...

Hi! I really love your cute little dollhouse and the beautiful pictures of it. I have write about it in my blog, i borrowed some of your pictures an linked to you, I hope that's ok. Here is my post: http://fridasofia.se/blogg/pyssel-pa-vill-gora-listan (only in swedish though, it's a list of projects I want to do when i get time).

Karla@TheClassyWoman said...

Wow, I am speechless! This dollhouse is beyond words!!!

JustForDaisy said...

This is amazing! Half of it I wasn't sure if I was looking at a real house!! :) Amazing! :) Well done! x

Rhissanna said...

Wow! Seriously, wow. This is a pretty amazing doll's house. So fresh and modern and new, too. And yes, I understand why it took you so long. You were playing with it, too! I have a friend who has 42 (and counting) doll's houses(she does informal tours around them if you're ever in Norwich) and I'm going to send her this link straight away!

Laurie S said...

This is THE MOST AMAZING thing I have every seen. No, seriously. I absolutely LOVE this. I can't stop looking at it. I dream of the day I can find a dollhouse worthy of something like this. (I say "like" this as if I could mimic your brilliant creation.) Sigh... I will try, because you have truly inspired me. It is unbelievable. Truly.

NiƱa said...

I am soooooo in love with that very cute and lovely dollhouse!

Talathy said...

Fantastic doll house! I'd love to know what dolls you use with it. I'm finding it very difficult to get ones that aren't scary looking!

Suz said...

This is unbelievable!!! I am currently doing up a dollshouse and just plugged in to the search engine on pinterest and came across yours! So awesome!!! I hope your daughters love playing with it!

Anonymous said...

amazing dollshouse. it looks like real house. i absolutely love it! you are very talented - congrats!

Anonymous said...

This is AMAZING!!!!! So incredible...I don't think I could complement this enough!!!!

Unknown said...

Love your doll house! How did you do the mini prints?

Love and Lollipops said...

Absolutely incredible! I'm blown away by all the amazing detail! I could move in! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails