Thursday, May 19, 2011

my creative space: a baby blanket/playmat

I made my first little baby blanket/playmat this week for Jack- he needed one as we only had one blanket that wasn't pink! I've been wanting to make a little quilt for ages after seeing this gorgeous one made by Joanna at Little Minx from this great tutorial from Cat Taylor.  I made my blanket smaller though so I could use it in the capsule or buggy or as a little playmat.
For the patchwork top I used some Michael Miller zoology fabric that I bought from Bernina before Jack was born and I got the other two fabrics and the printed flannel for the back of the blanket from the new Spotlight store that's opened here in Tauranga....definitely my new favourite store...I may have actually taken Jack there 4 times in the last week - he is getting well known as the baby with all the hair! 
For the blanket inner I used some 'needled cotton' (I'd never heard of that before but a lady at Spotlight recommended it and it's lovely and warm without being bulky which is good for taking out and about).
The best thing about this blanket is that it was surprisingly quick to make (seriously!!)  Cutting out the squares didn't take long at all (there's only 16 squares on my blanket) so I did that one evening once Jack was in bed, and then sewing the patchwork top and then the layers together only took about an hour all up. It was great using my walking foot too as it made it really easy to keep the layers together.
You know what it's like when you make something new and you just want to make heaps more! The girls want one each now too so I thought I'd make them little lap quilts a bit bigger than Jack's.

And check out these pants that my friend Rosie made for Jack in the same animal fabric- aren't they cute! She used a pattern from Anna Marie Horners "Handmade beginnings' book and lined them with flannel so they are super soft and snuggly. Thanks again Rosie :)
For more creative spaces check out the new Our Creative Spaces page that Kirsty from Kootoyoo has put together here.
Megan x

25 comments:

monkeemoomoo said...

Wow, I can't believe you are sewing with a newborn in the house. I love the colours and fabrics used in the quilt. The shorts are pretty cute too. I love the idea of things being lined with flannel:)

Brenda said...

I love the colours you have chosen for Jack's quilt. He looks like he's having a lovely bit of floor time.....so cute!

Mama Bear said...

great job on the quilt and those pants are cuper cute too! Look forward to seeing the next couple of quilts - makes me want to make one too!

...and he does have a lot of hair - ADORABLE!

clare said...

Love this Megan, I love the colours. And the prints for that matter!! Is needled cotton anything like flannelette? I am so glad you have a Spotlight now!! I don't know what I'd do without it, although sadly all the small fabric and haberdashery shops have now closed.

Amy said...

Love the quilt. I have been eyeing of that fabric for ages, it is devine isn't it.

Jack is just gorgoues. His hair is awesome. My daughter had hair like that as a baby.

Jen said...

Jack looks pretty happy with his new blanket! Isn't it a nice age when you can take them to Spotlight and they don't want to get down & play with everything!
Love the pants too.
We must catch up for coffee soon so I can have a cuddle!

Leonie said...

Oh it is gorgeous!!!!

Katie said...

Gorgeous blanket and Jack looks very impressed (and cute!)

Rochelle's Lenz said...

Those are my favourite colours! It certainly was super quick! Imagine if you had that rotary cutter - that needs to be on the next Spotlight shopping list. Right, thanks for the motivation to move on with my cutting...just need to finish an assignment ...argghhhhh

Jill said...

Gorgeous rug - and I love the matching pants too! Very cute!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

tartankiwi said...

Looks great, well done!

Kylie said...

Look at him - he is so cute - and the blanket is great as well - and the matching pants:) Too cute for words:)

Kelly Casanova said...

How cute! Love your fabric choices and your little boy is just gorgeous.

Steph @HCC said...

Love the colors of the quilt! And the backing fabric is fantastic!

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Wow, your blanket is gorgeous! I can't believe it was that quick to make, I really need to give one a go some day soon. I have a brand new walking foot waiting to be used, had it for months now. Silly me.

Rosie said...

The quilt looks great Megan, well done you! I'm hoping to make one for Jesse's bed - when I can find some time!!

Ady said...

Love your fabric choices - the quilt/playmat is so great. And the trousers are cool!

*Staci* said...

The pants are so cute! I wish I had sewing skills when my kids were little. :)

Hootnz said...

I love the quilt you made for your new bubs :) Your little boy reminds me of my youngest boy, he had hair just like this, cute

Anonymous said...

absolutely awesome Megan - LOVE the fabrics you chose for Jacks quilt. Isn't the Tutorial a simple and affective one x

fee @ chipper nelly said...

always refreshing to see boys things in blogland!
Wish I had ANY say on what my boys wear - they are currently into sportswear (wish you could hear the distaste in my voice when I say that) and it hurts!
fee x
really hurts!

Katie said...

Hi Megan, I just wanted to let you know I've awarded you the Kreativ Blogger Award - thanks for having such an inspiring blog! http://mummy-adventures.blogspot.com/2011/05/kreative-blogger-award.html

gretbert said...

I have had a half yard of that zoology print for 6 months for my little man and still haven't figured out how to use it yet (I think I love it too much to cut it up!)

Your blanket is perfection, what a lucky boy, well done. :)

Seaside Siblings said...

Love the blanket! And how lucky are you having such a great friend- the pants look fab.

Craftysquirrel said...

I saw this post when you put it up and I have just used your links to the tutorial now and made a little blanket like this for a friends new baby - thanks for the idea and yes it did only take a few hours !

Related Posts with Thumbnails