Monday, January 25, 2010

the worms are happy

I have had a worm bin (a Worm-a-Round) for about 5 years now- I got it when I was teaching and it sat at the back of my classroom - the kids loved putting their lunch scraps in it.

The worms I started with have fed and bred quite happily in there for all these years until this summer- we moved the bin to a warmer spot around the house and to my dismay the worm population has diminished hugely! The only thing I can think is that it was too hot for them there... so with my small amount left I am going to start again and try to build up my population before transferring them back to the big worm bin. I used the instructions from World Sweet World mag autumn 09 issue and made a little one out of icecream containers- hopefully they will breed like crazy in there! My toddler put some banana skin in there today and said the worms are happy, so hopefully she's right!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails