Thursday, April 7, 2011

my creative space: two more 'busy book' pages

It was so neat to read all the lovely comments about the first few pages of my busy book the other week, thank you! I've finished a couple more pages so here are some pics.  Both of these pages were inspired by some fabric I already had- a lovely flower corduroy and a babushka print.
I've seen lots of examples of the 'button on flower' page on other busy books- such a great idea for little hands to practice their buttoning skills! For my page I appliqued on some 'grass' and stitched some flower stems and leaves, then sewed on some buttons...
...then I made some flowers out of Felt and cut the button holes. 
I used two layers of felt to make the flowers as I knew they would get plenty of wear so I wanted them to be nice and strong!

With the babushka page I wanted to do something similar to the nesting dolls idea so I decided to make little pockets on two of the babushka's so they fit inside each other from smallest to biggest. 
I also sewed on a dome to keep the babushka's on the page (and to practice using a dome too!) 
I wanted to have some threading practice in my book too so I sewed on some little rings around the babushka's and tied some cord onto one of the rings.  A little bit random but the more to do on the page the better I think!
 
I've made a page on my blog with all of my busy book pages so I'll add each new page there too. There's a link to a site I found with a list of ways to develop fine motor skills on there too :)

And Rochelle from "Through a Focussed Lenz" has come up with a great idea if you are keen to make a busy book for your little ones - a 'busy book page swap where "someone might take zips, some one clips, a person for threading etc. Each participant makes a number of pages in their "theme" and we post off to each other."She'll be posting about it soon so stay tuned!

For more creative spaces, head over to Kootoyoo here

It's my due date today but no sign of baby yet, I was overdue 8 days and 6 days with my first two so maybe 4 this time!
Megan x

23 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the new pages for your busy book, such a shame my kids are far too old for one!
My thoughts are with you for the birth of your new baby, a gorgeous new bundle to cuddle and smooch!
Take Care

Kristin said...

Love your flower page ~ am suddenly very inspired to make a busy book of our own. Something to add to the to-do list I think.

All the best for Bubs arrival! Can't wait to hear the news.

Anonymous said...

These new pages are wonderful...I really need to make a start on a busy book if I am to finish it this year.

Jen said...

Those pages are absolutely gorgeous. What brilliant ideas. I love the way you did the Babushka dolls.
Good luck on getting baby to come!

Mainichi said...

Popping over from Kootooyoo, love your little book, it's divine. Hope the bub arrives soon! D

LionessLady said...

This is the most beautiful idea - I absolutely love your babushka page!!! Well done! And good luck with the new arrival :-)

Jennie said...

Wow - love how you've done the nesting dolls!x

Megan said...

How fabulous, your lucky little girls :) It's clear that lots of work and love has gone into this. All the best for your hopefully any day delivery of the new member to your family. I think feet up for the rest of the day is in order because it might be your last chance for a while!

angelina said...

hiya meg, i love your little book and dolls !! x angelina

flowerpress said...

We had the loveliest handmade busy book. I think that's such a lovely idea to make your own.
We also had a great zip open 'book' that had pockets for each letter so K had a little felt kite that went in it.
And another lovely book that had a little character who would take off his clothes, put them in the laundry basket, have a shower, put on his pyjamas, brush his teeth and then go to bed with a bottle. All on different pages and all made in fabric.
Love the idea of the babushkas in pockets.

Bridgid said...

Thanks so much for the link to the suggestions for developing fine motor skills - I've been trying to create some boy friendly options for my own busy book project. Enjoy the serenity of the next 4 (!) days and all the best for your bubs arrival.

Amanda said...

I just want to say how much I enjoy reading your blog, you do some beautiful work...your busy book is gorgeous, I will be adding this to my list of things to do!

Anna Bartlett said...

Your babooshka idea is gorgeous. May you have many years of happy memories being made around this gorgeous made-with-love book.

Anne Butera said...

Gorgeous! What a fun book you're creating.

Cotton Kiwi said...

What a fabulous book Megan. I adore those pages you have made. They are brilliant! Hope bubs arrives soon for you! At least you will have a couple of weeks off My Creative Space while Kirsty takes a break! Take care.
x

bee said...

Wonderful! I just love those button flowers especially. I'm so keen to get one started myself, just need more time argh! Thanks for the lovely inspiration :D

Jessica Rodarte said...

Oh, oh, oh! What a pretty blog you have! In a minute, I am going to be looking for a follow button. I gotta keep up with you now. :)
I have 3 little ones, too! 7, 5, and 1. I hope you have a quick labor!

craftysquirrel said...

Oh how very clever you are - I love the 2 new pages - I've just found your blog last week and really enjoying your posts - inspiring me to get on with my own projects. (And making me add new ones to the growing list!)
thanks for sharing

Bron said...

That is such a beautiful book ...hope all goes well and you are not waiting too much longer.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous beyond words.....I would be into the swap once I get a machine and learn how to use it!! I am so looking forward to it, you have given me so much inspiration for projects such as these which I'm sure will make the best gifts!!

tartankiwi said...

I just realised that I haven't sent you a message wishing you all the best with the birth and hoping that you have a wonderful time getting to know your newest family member.
All the best!!!

gretbert said...

Too clever, they look gorgeous! All the best for baby, how exciting :)

Lesley said...

That busy book is looking just amazing. I'm afraid I'd start and never really finish though... like Carly's "first words" scrapbook, which never got past page 3, 3 years ago! Best of luck for the new baby's arrival!

Related Posts with Thumbnails