Friday, January 21, 2011

Organised Home Project 1: The Linen Cupboard

Hello all, I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments about joining in on my 'Organised Home' challenge.  There's obviously quite a few of you out there like me that are ready for a more organised home for 2011! So every week (hopefully!) I'm going to post a project plus a few crafty and eco ideas to go with each project.
To join in all you have to do is
  • leave a comment on any of my challenge posts with a link to the project on your blog- so if you want to get started on your linen cupboard too you could link up showing us your pics. I might start a Linky thingee depending on how many people join in but for now you'll just have to copy and past your URL in your comment.
  • OR you could just leave a comment telling us about another organising project you've done this week if you don't feel like tackling your linen cupboard just yet or yours is already organised! (you could link to your blog if you've posted about it or just tell us about it if you don't have a blog) 
Of course you can just join in by reading along too and be with us in spirit!


You can link up to any project at any time but just for fun I'm going to have a little giveaway to go with some projects and I'll randomly draw a winner about a week or two after I post a project from someone who comments. 

So, this week's challenge - the linen cupboard...a place where random sheets, far too many pillowcases, old towels and cushion inners have been crammed for too long!
Time taken: about 2 hours
Here's my 'before' pic...
And now for the 'after' pic...
Ah, much better! 
This was a great project to start with as it was something that's been bugging me for ages. Here's what I did...
1. Took everything out of the cupboard and sorted it into 'keep', 'move' and 'giveaway' piles. Soaked any towels looking a bit grey and washed all the sheets and towels.
Some of the the sleeping bags, backpacks and the portacot found new homes in other cupboards. Into the charity shop bag went some pillowcases, a couple of old cushion inners, a set of queen sheets and an old valance for a bed size we don't even have anymore.
(and I actually took this bag to the charity shop rather than my usual habit of cramming it in another cupboard waiting to be taken!)
2. Did the rather painful task with the sheets of figuring out what size they were, writing it on the label of each sheet and bundling them together in fitted/flat sets.
Tip: For my three year old's sheets I bought them in a different colour so it would be easy to identify them, and I keep them in her wardrobe.
3. I put everything back and labelled it all- I've got to admit when we moved in I did this too but as life got busier and busier I started ignoring the labels and just shoved things anywhere so I'm going to try harder to keep to the labels!
I've moved the linen spray up higher now as it contains alcohol - don't want the kids getting drunk on lavender water!!
Now I think it's really important to have a little treat to look forward to when you are doing some organising don't you? So for this project I thought of a few crafty and eco things to make with a 'linen cupboard' theme. I really enjoyed going to the health store and buying some essential oils and other 'ingredients' and had a fun morning making up some sprays and sachets.  And now the cupboard smells divine when I open it up!

Here's some ideas for 'Linen Cupboard' Crafty/ Eco things to make

* I made some lavender linen water using this recipe from Apartment Therapy. 
* I used a couple of recipes from my  'Home Companion' book by Wendyl Nissen to make some natural moth repellent sachets for my blankets and also to make some 'romance' pillow spray as Wendyl calls it.
The recipe for the moth repellant sachets is on this page (just scroll down). I halved her recipe amounts and just made smaller sachets for mine.
The recipe for the romance pillow spray is on this page. It's pretty expensive buying each of the oils though so I bought an essential oils blend called "Sheer Bliss' that I just mixed with the rose water, vodka and water.
* I made some lavender bag sachets to put on my sheets and pillowcase piles.
Wouldn't this make a great gift for someone for a housewarming or birthday? This would also be really fun to do with a group of friends as you could all bring one ingredient each.

Note:  I know there are warnings about the use of essential oils in pregnancy especially in the first trimester but I'm not too clued up on them so you might want to do a bit of research before making these if you have any concerns.

So this week being 'the linen cupboard challenge' the giveaway is a 200 ml size spray bottle to make your own linen spray, a moth repellant sachet for your winter blankets and a handmade Cath Kidston fabric lavender sachet to make your sheets smell lovely. And all organised in a little plastic tray for you. Just link up or comment to be in to win.
So there you go, project number 1 done and I am feeling good! Looking forward to reading about your projects, sorry this is the longest post ever! and sorry for the overuse use of exclamation marks in this post too....

Next week's project...'My Craft Space'. If you're keen to get crafty this year this could be a good time to think about a space you could possibly make or make a start gathering some supplies to get crafty for 2011.

Happy organising!
From Megan

PS: I tried to reply to everyone that said they're keen to join in but if you didn't get a reply from me it's because when I clicked reply it just came up with the email address noreplycomment@blogger.com.
To enable your email so you can get replies to comments I think you need to go to your blogger profile page and do something there...if you want to of course!

PPS: There's a little button on my blog for the challenge if you want to add it to your blog :)

30 comments:

Steph said...

Wow! That looks awesome! And so inspiring. May join in a week or two when things get a little less hectic round here. Well done you :)

Beautiful Day said...

I'm impressed! The linen cupboard makeover was great, and then you made all the little sprays and sachets to make it amazing! Very inspiring.xx

Widge said...

Very impressive! loving that you took the time to make up those sprays. That's the kind of thing I wish I had and never get around to doing it. I have Wendyl's book and you have inspired me!!
p.s although your before hand pic of your cupboard is still waaaaaaaay more organised than mine. arrggh

Beautiful Day said...

I forgot to say, I tidied up my work room, and if you'd like to see, it is here:
http://www.sicefamily.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-little-workroom.html

xx

Megan said...

Wendy (see comment above) has a beautifully organised work space now- here's the correct link if you want to check it out and be inspired!
http://sicefamily.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-little-work-room.html

Photography said...

Am I supposed to do my linen cupboard? Or can I do what ever I like? You put a lot into this post - thanks for all the links etc :-)

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh Megan I could be tempted! I'll see how I go with this weeks task before I join up. I love that book and the recipes are fabulous. P.S. Your cupboard looks amazing and I love the label idea.

Megan said...

hi there, you can do whatever you like! joining up really just means doing whatever projects you choose and then just linking up so we can all take a peek at them, or just leaving a comment telling us what you are up to with your organising whatever weeks you choose to comment.
Glad you liked the links, it was fun making the stuff for the cupboard and a few for gifts too!
from megan

meg said...

Right then... the linen cupboard it is.

tartankiwi said...

There won't be any de-cluttering going on here for a month or so, but I do like your idea of labelling the sheets by size... might have to steal (I mean borrow) that idea ;-)

Katie said...

Love this post. I love before and after type stories. Your linen cupboard looks fab now and I think I will have to steal your shelf and tag labelling ideas when I get round to doing mine!
The sprays and sachets all look lovely too - such a good idea for making something quite normal (i.e. a linen cupboard) into a little haven :-)
Haven't managed any organising today but might try something over the weekend!

Makeminemidcentury said...

I'm flabbergasted!

That's incredible! Congratulations!

Leonie said...

oh megan, what a fabulous job you have done and I love all those wonderful links. Im very inspired to do the same - who wouldnt love and nice smelling linen cupboard! Cant wait to see the rest of your posts.
Im really organised, everything we own is, as of today, packed in a container and about to set sail across the Tasman!! lol.

Dee said...

if it's sunny tomorrow we're planning a major yard/garden overhaul, but if it's raining it's gonna be all about the linen cupboard baby! (i'm gonna try and keep up with you otherwise i might procrastinate...!)

huzzah! D x

Beautiful Day said...

Thanks for changing my link address! Woopsie!xx

Jen said...

That looks lovely. Very organised. Like you, my linen cupboard looked like that when I moved in but now I just shove towels where I can fit them! Love all your sprays & sachets, although not sure about the use of Absolut as the alcohol! Really would be much better in a vodka tonic!

Michelle said...

I have recently cleaned up my linen cupboard, but it's getting a tad messy again already so thanks for the label idea, I may have to try that one. Must hunt out a cute basket for my sprays too! I have started on my craft space this week so am looking forward to any ideas you share next week.

spectacularfairywren said...

oh dear - another reminder of another project i didn't get done last year !

Maybe tomorrow?

Tah for the reminder and the inspiration - great tips - love the sachets and love the neat piles!

Anonymous said...

Well done you - there's no holding back the energy of a pregnant woman is there! Those little smelly delights looked wonderful! x

monkeemoomoo said...

I love your linen cupboard. We have a huge linen cupboard (the main reason I bought our house) So I am lucky to have had it organised from the moment we arrive here almost 3 years ago. However I do think I need some lavender bags! And... I have junk on the floor of the cupboard, that is on my list. Some boxes not opened for those 3 years! I have written a post today with some links you might be interested in on your quest to be organised.

Oh, and it's my goal to finish off my study craft/room by next Friday. Thank's for the inspiration:)

Megan said...

here's the link to monkeemoomoo's organising post today...
http://monkeemoomoo.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-challenges.html

Stella said...

I'm loving this! We are a week away from moving, but as soon as we do I am going to set about completing each of your challenges (with the added benefit of having a clean slate), thank you Megan, for the inspiration!!!

Becky (Hazel and Blue) said...

What a great idea! Your linen and pillow sprays look gorgeous, and I will def be having a go at making some soon. I was inspired by your last post and have already re organised a cupboard in our dining room/sewing room. Will keep you posted and blog about this very soon. Bx

gaijinwife said...

I'm a bit unorganized but my linen cupboard will happily wait until you visit :)

Sarah Gauntlett said...

loving this! I'm so inspired now!!!!!!!! lavender water! YUM! Blogging about this tomorrow too!

meg said...

Hello! I did it at the weekend and must admit that I had to just go and open the cupboard a few times to see if it really was as good as I thought. Thanks so much for the inspiration. And great name too by the way ;o) Let's see if I can get the link right...

http://growingkiwis.blogspot.com/2011/01/organised-home-project-1-linen-cupboard.html

Anonymous said...

Awesome work Megs!! I am so in need of some motivation to get the house sorted and will definately try NOW!! The kiddies are asleep for (fingers crossed) another hour so look out linen cupboard!! Ange.

Anonymous said...

Awesome :) I found your blog totally accidentally while randomly stalking a friend's facebook account... I look around my house and the words 'big skip' regularly comes to mind...I am going to save your site to my favourites now and you are going to become my inspiration to sought out my 5 boy smelly household in 2011. No pressure xx

meg said...

Hey Megan, thanks for the lovely wee parcel that arrived today! I might even use the bottle to spray my face with water... it's so muggy here tonight!

Anonymous said...

I've come across your blog by way of Kiwi Mummy Blogs. Your linen closet looks great. I love the idea of the lavender water and sprays.
I'm not much of domestic goddess, but I did pick up an idea from a magazine a while back that you might be interested in. I posted it here a couple of years ago.

Related Posts with Thumbnails