Thursday, March 17, 2011

my creative space: handprint embroidery

I came across this idea on this lovely blog last year and have been wanting to make our own family one for ages. I've made it as a little art work for the baby's room so when he/she is born I can add their little handprint too!
It was pretty quick to do- I drew around each of our hands on card and then cut out each outline, then I traced around each hand on the fabric using a water/fade marker pen and stitched each handprint using backstitch.
If I was doing this again though I would just trace and stitch one hand at a time- I got a bit confused with all the lines and ended up having to unpick a bit!

It only took a couple of evenings in front of the TV to stitch the handprints and the girls, especially Amelie, thought it was pretty neat when finished. Kids love drawing and seeing their handprints don't they!
And now some questions for you crafty people- I have seen lots of blogs with crochet or knitted dishcloths/wash cloths and would love to have a go at making some for the kitchen (have never used them before). Are they just like using a kitchen sponge- so you use them for wiping the bench, high chair etc?  Does anyone have any links to their own dishcloths on their blogs or know of any links to nice and easy crochet dishcloth patterns? I've searched a few but I thought I would ask here too :)

Thanks heaps, and for more creative space today visit Kootoyoo here
Megan x

20 comments:

meg said...

that's so cool!

Michelle said...

Hi Megan
I have recently jumped on the dishcloth bandwagon too, here is a link to lot's of patterns... http://knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/dishcloths.php
Have fun!

Fay said...

Thats such a neat idea!

monkeemoomoo said...

Another fantastic idea and keepsake:)

Thanks for sharing x

Katie said...

What a cute idea! pretty too.

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

What a wonderful idea! Love it :)

Lisa said...

I love what you have done. I am thinking now of doing one to, same same but different!

nz green buttons said...

What a great idea, love it! I use my crochet dishcloths just as I would a sponge too. I prefer a pattern with not too many gaps otherwise when I'm cleaning up the highchair etc the food falls out of the holes! Happy crocheting! (check out raverly, or lionbrand.com for patterns)

Anna Bartlett said...

Great idea - well done for actually doing it! It looks lovely.

Vic said...

What a fabulous idea - I shall be stealing it! ;)

Lesley said...

I quite like the type of fabric that rows of single crochet in a heavy cotton make. There are heaps of patterns out there. There are some cute round types too.

Songbird Designs said...

How cool! I love it. Might have to take up embroidery!

I have been using the dishclothes for ages and I love them. Much better than a sponge but I agree you need a tighter pattern to keep the gaps small. Sx

sweet emmelie said...

love it. I want to make one of these now, so, so cool!

Bron66 said...

This is a great idea! I actually did a similar thing for a quilt piece for my workplace. They wanted all of our hands on a quilt for our childbirth unit. I appliqued my daughter's hand over mine in two different fabrics. I was quite pleased with the result.
I have tried making a dishcloth too. As a beginner at crochet, i was thrilled when I finished it. I almost thought it was too nice to use and before I got the chance it was pinched for a dolls blanket! I must try another.

Small Things Simple Pleasures said...

That's a great idea. Someone near us has three kids and they got them to stand against the wall of the house where they outlined them in paint. They did this every second year, each child standing in front of their previous outline in the same position, and their age was marked. There's about four outlines now and it's a great piece of memorabilia for them and street art for us.

spectacularfairywren said...

what a super idea - i think i might do feet!

Sarah said...

What an awesome idea, I'm so gonna make on of these before my boys get any bigger :) oooh and a feet one too :) yay havn't done any embroidery for ages.

Red Red Completely Red said...

Love this! It turned out beautifully. Will you do one each year, to compare?

Steph at ModernParentsMessyKids.com said...

I love this idea! I'm so glad you commented over at MPMK today so I could find your lovely blog. I've been having a lot of fun looking around.

I recently did a post on kid embroidery projects that has another version of this as well as a few other fun options. You can check it out here:

http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2011/02/embroidery-projects-and-decor-for-kids.html

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous. What a wonderful twist, i think my mom would love that for her sewing room. We've made her so many homemade kid gifts, we've been trying to think of something new.

Related Posts with Thumbnails