Thursday, March 10, 2011

my creative space: a patchwork chair

I've had this chair that I bought off Trade Me sitting in our garage since we moved into our house three years ago.
We used to live in a 1930's bungalow which I decorated in a bit of a shabby chic/Cath Kidston style so this chair looked great in our hallway with some fabric from Kate Fitzpatrick. But it didn't really suit the house we live in now, plus there wasn't really anywhere to put it, so it's been out in the garage gathering dust.
But after seeing this chair on the gorgeous blog Lucy and I (thanks for telling me about this blog Saskia if you are reading this!) I decided to have a go at a very small patchwork furniture project with the chair.
I also saw this yellow chair last year on Abby's blog and it just stuck in my head as a great little project.

First off I sanded it and painted it Resene "Sargent Pepper". (I love this colour- I think it's quite similar to Pantone's Colour of 2011
Pantone Color of the Year 2011: Honeysuckle










I'm not very good at measuring before I make stuff (a bit like pinning which I have to force myself to do when I'm sewing too!) so for the seat I just cut out a square from some card for a template, worked out roughly how many I would need to cover the chair seat, then cut out a whole lot of squares from my chosen fabrics, then cut some of the squares in half to make some rectangles. Then I just played around and stitched rows of them together and crossed my fingers it would fit over the seat! I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the seat -nice and quick!
I've put it in Amelie's room next to her bed- a good place for her to put her books and all the other random stuff she likes to take to bed most nights!
To see what's been happening in other creative spaces this week, visit Kirsty's at Kootoyoo here
Thanks for visiting :)
Megan x

25 comments:

Stella said...

Love!!!!!!! Amelia's room looks gorgeous too! Can we have a nursery tour?! Pretty please!!!

Catherine said...

You've inspired me to have a go now, and what a wonderful job you've made of it!

melissa said...

I love it! Looks great in her room.

daisy said...

wonderful! it's perfect. you are inspiring me to do this to our kitchen chairs!

gret said...

Ooh, I love this!! I'm on the lookout for old furniture at the moment too, and hope to give something like this a try soon...yours is fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!! I love how this turned out :)
xx

Jen said...

So lovely. I am impressed you are still painting chairs at this stage of pregnancy! Oh, and I would love to swap bedrooms with Amelie - looks much more inviting than mine!

Michelle said...

Perfect for a little girls room, I love that colour!

Anonymous said...

That looks completely gorgeous, love the colours!

Beck said...

Wow, you did a fantastic job! I love this idea and may try something like this too. I bought a second hand couch this week and thought I might recover it with linen tea towels. Your chair looks so sweet, well done x

Anonymous said...

Wow what a difference. I love it!! Well done!!!

Maxabella said...

Look what you've achieved, clever you! I love it. x

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

LOVE IT !!! great job and i love your haphazard approach as that is totally like me!!! well done x

Suz said...

Great chair - I might try this!

Kelly @ Polkadot Lane said...

Oh wow! This looks fantastic. You've done a wonderful job :-)

Tracey@bountifully said...

I love, love your chair, fabulous transformation!

yardage girl said...

I really love your chair - perfect for a girl's room, but stylish enough for elsewhere too! Great work!

LionessLady said...

Beautiful chair - but am also loving her bedhead too!

Michelle said...

Adorable! That is the quintessential little girl's bedroom! It's gorgeous! I love the chair transformations!

Leonie said...

oh that is adorable!! wow, you are so clever!

Photography said...

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her room!

sweet emmelie said...

love the chair, I want to make one now!

Lea said...

gosh the chair looks good and a cute little space you have set up there too. looks like a lovely room.

Naturally Carol said...

What a difference between the 'before' and 'after'...love the colours!

Andrea said...

hey, love that last picture - great little combination...very pink and girly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails