Thursday, June 23, 2011

my creative space: nursery art

I got a lovely email a while back from Melissa who reads my blog and is a primary school teacher in Auckland. (Check out her new blog here http://nzbusybee.blogspot.com.)  She sent me the link to Larissa's blog "mmmcrafts" and the tutorial for these these  cute 'momma bird' cards that she did with her class for Mothers Day. Aren't they gorgeous:)  And Larissa has even kindly made a pdf with the templates for each card- thanks Larissa!
I decided to make the bird art for Jack's nursery as I loved the look of the mummy bird cuddling her little baby. So I printed out the template and enlarged it so the pieces would fit into a frame I bought from Spotlight, and had fun choosing the card from my scrapbooking card stash. (I don't actually do scrapbooking but I love the card you can buy for it!)
The elephant mobile was a fun project too. My drawing skills are very limited so I photocopied the elephant from the Michael Miller fabric I used to make Jack's baby blanket, then enlarged it onto card to make a template. Then I just drew around it a few times on the same card I used to make the bird art. The mobile is one of those ones that is for hanging photo's from so it was easy to clip the elephants on instead!
Thanks so much Melissa for sending me the link. Also I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you for reading my blog and the lovely comments I get- I really do appreciate them and love reading them (and sorry that I don't always get a chance to reply at the moment!) 
For more creative spaces, click here
Megan x

19 comments:

BigLittle said...

Very sweet Megan, Love the elephants!

Fay said...

Cute!

Katie said...

So lovely. Off to look at the Momma Bird templates :-)

tartankiwi said...

I've been thinking of making a mobile for a wee while now. I love yours. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to get onto it!

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

just beautiful - there is some quite majestical about elephants xx

Craftysquirrel said...

Your art looks great - especially like the bird pictures - thanks for the link I'll have to check it out.

Rosie said...

Very cute. Thanks for the link.

Hootnz said...

Oh I love that artwork, so special, and really loving the elephants.... what a cute nursery for your little man

Anonymous said...

That is really cool. Love them both and green and blu mmmmm love that colour combo!

Han & Moo said...

SOOO fabulous. I am absolutely loving the elephant mobile. So beautiful. X

Amanda said...

What a gorgeous piece to frame!! Thanks for sharing the link, I might try and make one for our nursery x

Melissa said...

Wow the large momma bird looks awesome!!! I am glad you liked the link and have used it!! Very cool!

Karlene said...

Hiya, LOVE your framed bird. What a fab idea! Thanks for the link. I might make one for my little girl's room. Looks so professional in the white frame. Well done :-)
I'm loving your blog - you've inspired me to start one of my own. We've been in touch before, I'm karlene from Dimples :-)

Anonymous said...

just beautiful Megan, Jack's room looks amazing. I love the wee bird picture you did x

Lesley said...

Wow, so lovely - I think the birds are beautiful... I often call my kids my "little chickens". By the way - I totally want the "Sophie" top in your bow-post last week.

Cat said...

I think your little bird in the frame looks really sweet and such a clever idea to decorate your little ones nursery. You've created a lovely space. xo

Heather said...

Great idea for a mobile. I'm using a Robert Kaufman fabric with owls on it, so I could just photocopy and enlarge one of the owls. I'm thinking of cutting out owls from all the fabrics I'm using and then hanging them like you did with the elephants. Or, I could make it a lot easier and find scrapbook papers to match and use those instead of dealing with the fabric. At any rate, you've got me thinking in a different direction. Thanks.

Widge said...

Cute! and I'm totally diggin the alphabet work above the bassinet!!! I want one for me!

Stitchbird said...

This is wonderful. I think it would look great as an applique as well. Add that to my list of projects for the future - number 996 :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails