Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ink Apples Oven Mitt

I made my first oven mitt in the weekend for a friend Kelli who put in a request for one after seeing my ink apples fabric. I was a bit nervous about making this as it needed a lot of binding and I have never used bias binding before! Whenever I mentioned bias binding to people they would give me that look and tell me it was a bit tricky so I was feeling pretty apprehensive before starting!
I found a pattern and instructions in Cath Kidston's 'Sew!" book so off I went to Bernina to get all my supplies.
They have a product called Insul-Bright which is an insulated lining for oven mitts, tea cozies etc so I used that. I bought some 10mm bias binding but with all the layers of the mitt it wasn't really wide enough for a novice like me so I went back and got the 25mm instead.  One of the ladies at Bernina gave me some good advice which was to zigzag around the whole mitt before binding it so the layers would be nice and flat to bind. I also used the zigzag stitch to attach the binding to the mitt. It's not perfect at all but I am happy with it for a first go, and Kelli was rapt with it so thats good! I was a bit worried that I should have put some cotton batting in the mitt as well but Kelli used it last night and said it worked a treat so that's a relief!
I bought a tea towel from Briscoes and added a strip of the apples fabric to match the mitt. I got the idea for that from another Kelly- she put a tutorial on her blog here.
Here's a pic of them in Kelli's kitchen :) She is really getting into all the crafty blogs out there and even talking about doing some sewing- go Kelli!
Now I just want to go buy heaps of binding and make some oven gloves and maybe even some baby bibs to practice my binding. My little one Stella has an ear infection though so my sewing time might be a bit limited- she's asleep now though after being up till midnight last night on and off, oh well at least she slept 6 hours last night!
Megan x

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Megan- they look awesome! I love that fabric too. And bias binding (yes, I have that panicked look on my face when you say those words) - thanks for the tip via the lady at Bernina, what a great and yet simple idea, Joanna

A Life Less Complicated said...

I've always avoided binding - it's always something I didn't have the patience for so would get Mum to do it for me

The oven mitt looks great - nice and big - and thanks for mentioning me even though it was such an easy thing to do - looks great btw

Songbird Designs said...

Nice one Megan. You are very clever AND motivated! Sx

Jennie said...

Love it! I haven't attempted that - because of that!!

Meeks said...

Yay for you!! Love the material with the black binding.

All the best with your wee one who is unwell. I just took the kids to the doctors so we ran out of medicine for sore ears as well. My 3 year old slept through the night last night *phew*...unlike the night before where we both got very little sleep. Let's hope they will be back to their healthy selves very soon!

Angela said...

These look so mod. LOVE.

Shana Putnam said...

Those are super cute. I love them.

Cat said...

You've done a great job with the oven mit it looks super and the tea towel to match, just love it! I hope your little one feels better soon.:)

Katrina said...

How lovely, and the fabric couldn't have been more perfect :)

Susie said...

Thank you for entering my FaceBook Fabric giveaway, good luck.

I love your oven mits very nice, and love Cath Kidston stuff too.

Susie from
I Just Love That Fabric

Jen said...

very nice and I know how useful they will be :)

Pacokeco said...

These are perfection! The print, the design, the practicality! I really hope I am sporting these on my hands one day :)
xx
cleesloan@yahoo.ca

Unknown said...

What a cute set! I love it! What a great friend you are. Binding is alot of fun to work with, I love using it on my aprons.
I hope your little one is feeling better.

Lichtlein said...

WOW, what a wonderful idea!
I'm deeply impressed.

Kind regards from Germany
Claudia alias frauknopf@gmx.de

MooBear Designs said...

That is a great oven mitt.... I would be very proud too!!

xo Steph

Mia J. said...

You did a great job. They look wonderful and I could certainly use a new oven mitt and am hoping to win your lovely one. thanks for the chance.

Kelli said...

Loving this blog!

Erika Mulvenna said...

Awesome oven mitts! I love sewing with bias binding, and it's even more fun when you make your own!

Speaking of great projects, have you found all the free sewing links at www.WeAllSew.com yet? I think you'll like it!

Beverley Baird said...

I collect apples (I'm a teacher) so these would would be great to have! A lovely giveaway!

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty and before you know it you'll be making your own binding! It's a little tricky to use but so worth it.
I have that book and desperately need a new oven mitt (my boyfriend won't even touch our current one!) so thanks for sharing your source.

Related Posts with Thumbnails