Cath Kidston's 'Sew!" book so off I went to Bernina to get all my supplies.
They have a product called Insul-Bright which is an insulated lining for oven mitts, tea cozies etc so I used that. I bought some 10mm bias binding but with all the layers of the mitt it wasn't really wide enough for a novice like me so I went back and got the 25mm instead. One of the ladies at Bernina gave me some good advice which was to zigzag around the whole mitt before binding it so the layers would be nice and flat to bind. I also used the zigzag stitch to attach the binding to the mitt. It's not perfect at all but I am happy with it for a first go, and Kelli was rapt with it so thats good! I was a bit worried that I should have put some cotton batting in the mitt as well but Kelli used it last night and said it worked a treat so that's a relief!
I bought a tea towel from Briscoes and added a strip of the apples fabric to match the mitt. I got the idea for that from another Kelly- she put a tutorial on her blog here.
Here's a pic of them in Kelli's kitchen :) She is really getting into all the crafty blogs out there and even talking about doing some sewing- go Kelli!
Now I just want to go buy heaps of binding and make some oven gloves and maybe even some baby bibs to practice my binding. My little one Stella has an ear infection though so my sewing time might be a bit limited- she's asleep now though after being up till midnight last night on and off, oh well at least she slept 6 hours last night!