Thursday, May 20, 2010

my creative space: a crafty morning and a little dress

If you read 'Your Home and Garden' magazine you might recognise this lounge...this is where I got to spend the morning yesterday learning how to use a pattern to make a little dress.
My friend Anna's house is in the latest issue (June) and it is the most gorgeous home.
I went up yesterday morning with Stella- Anna had the fire going, choccy chip biscuits and coffee and took me through how to make this lovely little dress. I cut out the pieces yesterday afternoon and sewed it together last night and I just love it. The gathering was a bit tricky as my threads kept breaking but luckily Anna said to sew two lines of stitching for the gathering so at least I had one thread to use when the other one broke! I got the cute fabric for an absolute bargain- it was $4 a metre special at Arthur Toyes a while ago. Good to practice on! It looks pretty summery but with a merino top underneath, a cardi and some stockings it will be good for winter too.
Anna made this dress from the same pattern - she is really creative with the little touches like the ribbon along the bottom and the applique heart on the back.
Looking forward to going pattern shopping and seeing what else I can make now.

And on the subject of people I know in magazines at the mo... my sister is in the latest M2 magazine! She wrote an article about Karen Murrell organic skincare and cosmetics and her photo is on the contributors page. I took the photo by putting my marimekko canvas behind her to match her red lippie :)

To see what's happening in other creative spaces today head over to Kirsty's here
Megan x

16 comments:

Kirsty said...

Hooray for crafty mates.

Jennie said...

Wow Megan! Loving the dress!!!
And I saw that article - thats such a cool house, looks completely different from when they started!

Cat said...

What pretty little dresses - any girl would be blessed to wear one.
Cat

Melinda said...

I have just finished reading that mag and LOVED that house. I was especially impressed by how she said it wasn't a show-home it was a family house - I love that!

The dress is so gorgeous and very girly.

emerson-j said...

i have just finished that mag to and love how she made the mirror in the lounge by adding the ornate trim, would u know where to get it from by chance??
p.s LOVE ur blog www.emerson-j.blogspot.com

Songbird Designs said...

Hi Megan, I followed your link to your sisters blog - and have had a chuckle at her post hens night post. she has a clear gift for comedy and writing!
Sx

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Woah, had the mag open beside me while I was working my way through my blog reader. Her house is looooovely!

Cotton Kiwi said...

Gorgeous little dresses Megan and how cool to hang out in a famous house to learn how! There'll be no stopping you now!

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

what cute little dresses! and you have amazing friends that find themselves in those glossy mags!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Lovely dress & oh what a lovely home!! Love Posie

Anonymous said...

Great job Meagan, you are so patient to use a pattern, they drive me crazy! The dress turned out beautifully, it looks perfect, and the material is really sweet.
:) Flick

Ammieloris said...

Awesome picture of your sis! I love your fabric. :)

Cat said...

Sounds like a fun morning you had at your friends house. The dress looks really sweet, great job and I bet you'll whip up some more and will be adding creative touches too. :)

Anonymous said...

the dress is just lovely Megan, the fabric and the ric-rac are really beautiful - well done :-) And how fantastic to have friends and relatives in print! Joanna x

michelle said...

sweet as dress, well done. i'm sure that knowing these people must make you almost famous

Rowantree Design said...

I adore the little heart on the back of the dress.ooowww so cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails