Thursday, May 6, 2010

my creative space: a baby snuggle rug

Today I'm making a start on a snuggly baby blanket/floor rug using this cute pink and red spotty fabric on the front and fur on the back.  I made one a few weeks ago for my cousin Vicki's baby shower and I really loved the result so I am going to make a few more.
Here's some pics of the snuggle rug I made for Vicki. 
I took the fabric up to show my crafty friend Anna before I started and she gave me the idea of putting some ribbon trim detail on the cotton side. She also found the beige colour ribbon in her stash- wasn't it the perfect match thanks Anna!  I used cotton batting between the two layers to make it nice and comfy. You would think it would be quite easy to sew three layers together but it ended up being a bit harder than I thought it would be- I think because the fur had a bit of stretch to it it was a little tricky to keep the layers together evenly when sewing. 
To go with the blanket I made one of my nappy wallets and put some wipes and flannels in and also a recipe for homemade baby wipes.
I've made up a few of these baby shower CD's in the past so I made one for Vicki as well with songs like "Waiting for that day", "Somebody to Love" "Good Morning Baby", "Never the Same" and "Welcome Home".
Right, time for some sewing now!
To see what's going on in other creative spaces today head over to Kirsty's here
Megan x

PS: there's a cute fabric giveaway over here...
http://everyspareminute.blogspot.com/2010/05/its-giveaway-time.html

16 comments:

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

i love those colours - especially that gorgeous ric rac! What a clever idea ;-)

bee said...

What lucky friends you have, the snuggle rugs are gorgeous, and that baby shower 'pack' is so thoughtful. I love the idea of the pink ribbon with the red ricrac - cute!

Cat said...

What a fantastic idea!
I love the baby shower pack and the cd's :)

melissa said...

Beautiful presents - you have some lucky friends.

sewfunky said...

What a fantastic idea - love the songs you chose for the shower soundtrack! :)

Cathie said...

what a wonderful gift! lucky friends you have to receive such gorgeous gifts made with so much love.

Cotton Kiwi said...

Hi Megan. So lovely to see your little toadstool house featured this week as Kirsty's favourite! I LOVE all those gifts you made for the baby shower. Now why couldn't you have lived close to me when I had my babies? :o) We welcomed the first baby of a new generation into our family on Monday (I'm now a great aunt. How scarey is that?!) so I may have to borrow your baby snuggle rug idea as a gift for her. I love the polka dots and ric rac you are using on today's rug. I will have to go and dig in my stash!

Megan said...

hi sarah, that gorgeous toad stool house wasn't mine although i would love to be able to make something that clever! it was steph's from mon petit poppet. so cute wasn't it :) look forward to seeing your snuggle rug x

Songbird Designs said...

Triple love Megan - FANTASTIC idea re the snuggle run, CD and well actually.. all of it!

Sx

Jen said...

LOVE that snuggly baby blanket/floor rug material
your very clever

Cat said...

They are beautiful baby gifts that you have made. The blanket colours with the ribbon trim look lovely. I can imagine that your gifts were lovingly received:)

Megan said...

you come up with such wonderful and thoughtful gifts megan, your family and friends are very lucky to have you!

Jo's Place said...

What beautiful gifts, love the colours of the blanket, it is going to look really lovely.

Tracey@bountifully said...

oh it will look lovely, what a perfect gift

Anonymous said...

You have such a talent for putting together these wee baby packages Megan - everything about them, the colours, the design, the thought! Loving the colours on the snuggle rug too, your label looks fantastic, you must be so proud x

Kate said...

That is such a brilliant baby package! The snuggle rugs look great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails