Monday, May 3, 2010

a hens, a birthday and a craft market too

My sister had her hens night up in Auckland on Saturday so I thought I'd make a nice clutch to use on the night. I had seen a tutorial for one in The Crafty Minx that didn't look too tricky so I found some gorgeous fabric at Bernina on Friday (didn't realise till I saw it another shop today that it is Amy Butler fabric) and went home to give it a go. I've learnt a lesson (again!!) about gathering supplies before starting a project-I thought I had some fabric that would be good for the lining but I didn't so out I went again to find some (poor baby Stella getting dragged around fabric shops!)  So because I left it to the last minute I was up a bit late that night sewing but I was really pleased with the finished product.

It was great being up in Auckland for the weekend and the hens night was loads of fun. Bit of a novelty getting ready for a night out - I don't do that very often anymore! Beautiful weather on the Sunday too - you can just spot the Sky Tower in this pic.
It was my mum's birthday yesterday so we all went out for brunch - I gave her one of my zip purses to use as a makeup bag- I made her a bigger one with boxed corners so she can fit lots in. I also made her a lavender sachet using some of my Nana's embroidery that I found buried in the box of threads I was given the other day- neat to be able to turn it into something special for mum.
Then I hopped onto the Devonport Ferry and went over to the Devonport craft market which I was very excited about! It was so much fun meeting fellow crafty bloggers and picking up a few crafty delights (bit of a pink theme going on!)
I bought a crayon roll, exercise book and passport cover from Cat Taylor, some hairclips and earrings from Songbird Designs, a cupcake pincushion and headband from Cotton Kiwi,  some covered buttons from A Little Vintage and some knitted flower hair clips from Knitti Graffiti. It was great to finally see the market and lovely to meet you all!
Here's Amelie enjoying her new crayons
Hope you all had good weekends too :)
Megan x


PS: hi to Jules O and Kelli C- two friends that check my blog quite regularly!!

PPS: you've only got till Thursday to enter Clare's lovely giveaway here... http://greenvalleycrafts.blogspot.com/2010/04/for-you.html

12 comments:

Chavah said...

That's such a gorgeous clutch! The fabric is beautiful. Your sister is very lucky :D

clare said...

So jealous of all your lovely new treats! And thanks heaps for linking to my giveaway! xx

Cotton Kiwi said...

Thanks Megan. It really was lovely to meet you at the weekend and put a face to the name. Thanks for buying some of my goodies too.

Jen said...

very nice clutch :)
so youll be going a wedding soon how exciting

very nice yellow makeup bag for your mum too

Cat said...

It was so lovely to meet you - thanks for coming to say hi!

Jennie said...

Was sooo great to meet you Megan!
I love the things you've made for your mum!

And that clutch is gorgeous! Love the fabric you chose too!x

Steph said...

Your clutch is so lovely! And all those wonderful finds at the market...sounds like you had a wonderful weekend :)

Unknown said...

Haven't you had a nice time lately ! You bought some lovely things too .

Gaijin Wife said...

Glad the hens night went well - must have been nice having the night out. Did you make it out singing? Happy birthday to D - bet she loved the lavender sachet and the toilet bag. Very her in the yellow :) Have only just started stalking you on the phone - really on just to gossip about sister and get you to pass on to your mum that sorry coffee never eventuated on either of my last two days. Too much packing of Japanese tea sets going on.

Talk soon.

Lady Rockstitch said...

Love the clutch! Love your blog. Truly love the beautiful pic of Auckland. We moved to Adelaide from Auckland almost two years ago, and we all are a little homesick. Thanks heaps for the lovely comment on my cape too! Really appreciate it, especially from a NZer!!!

Andy

Melinda said...

Love that lavender sachet - what a great idea for repurposing vintage embroidery.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fantastic time away Megan - lucky you. And you have used your time to the max! Love the clutch and the makeup bag x

Related Posts with Thumbnails