Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"First the oven, then the tin, wash your hands then begin"

Isn't that a good thing to remember when you start baking- I think it was Alison Holst or Jo Seagar who said it on a cooking show on TV once so I always try and remember it before I start some baking (which doesn't happen much in our house to be honest!)
Anyway, it is my hubby's birthday tomorrow so I made this yummy banana cake for him to share at work. This is such a quick and easy recipe from Simon Holst that I came across in a 'Little Treasures' magazine.


For a 21cm round cake tin or loaf tin


1-1¼ cups ripe mashed banana (3 bananas approx)
½ cup Canola (or other light vegetable oil)
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
2 cups self raising flour


1. Turn oven to 180∘, or 170∘ if using a fan oven
2. Mash the bananas with a fork
3. Combine the oil sugars, salt, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl and whisk until everything is well blended, then stir in the banana and milk, mix well, then add the flour. Beat with the whisk or stirrer until evenly mixed, then pour into a well non stick sprayed 21cm ring pan or loaf tin.
4. Bake for 40-50 mins, until top is golden brown, the centre springs back when pressed, and a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean. (Don't worry if the top cracks slightly.) Leave to stand in the tin for 5 mins, then place on rack to cool
5. Serve warm with icecream and fresh fruit for dessert, or allow to cool completely then ice with lemon or chocolate icing.
6. Enjoy!



6 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great picture! I always go for the banana cake for birthdays. Keeps nice and moist if you have to make it before hand!

Jen said...

Oh!!! that looks so good
happy birthday to your hubby
hope his work mates and he enjoy
cant see how they couldnt YUM

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I want those measuring cups! The colours are so cheerful for the kitchen. Where did you get them please?

Oh and the cake looks yummy too! Happy Birthday to your hubby for tomorrow.

Megan said...

Hi Sarah, they are so neat aren't they-I saw them in a mag and had to get them- such gorgeous colours! I bought them from Living and Giving only a few months ago-they are made by a UK company Joseph Joseph (www.josephjoseph.com) and are called 'Nest 6'.
Milly's kitchen might have them too :)

A Life Less Complicated said...

just a tip during feijoa season use this recipe but replace bananas with feijoas and use lemon icing (with fresh squeezed lemon and a few scrapes of the rind) - I made this alot while living in Katikati and it never lasted more than a day each time I made it!

Happy Birthday to your hubby too :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan, the cake looks lovely, I always enjoy reading your blog.

You'd never guess it - I'm taking a break while my attempt at baking, a carrot cake, bakes in the oven to check your blog. Today is my hubby's birthday as well, I am baking the cake for him. So, how's that for coincidence! Happy Birthday to your man!

Hope you are enjoying all the lovely light created by your hard work chainsawing and dragging! x Joanna

Related Posts with Thumbnails